Profile CL800 2-channel amp: Will it work with my subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

JustPerfect
10+ year member

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an amp to give each of my dual 4-ohm voice coil subs about 300-400 watts, somewhere in there. I understand that they can either run at 1 ohm or 4 ohm.... But I'm still a little unsure of what exactly that means. After hearing mention of millionbuy.com, I checked it out and found a "Profile CL 800" amp. I've never heard of it before. On the spec sheet it says it does 600 x 1 bridged @ 4 ohm, but only 200 x 2 @ 4 ohms. My question is....can I bridge this and get the 300 rms to each of my subs? And, is this amp reliable? It's on sale for $120 right now on millionbuy. Or should I look for something else? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions, just tryin' to track down a good amp for my subs....

- Dane

Whoops.... just realized the person in the thread i was reading was actually talking about the soundstream amps....

In that case, I found the amp the person was talking about, and I'm a tad confused. It says it does 150 x 2 at 4 ohms. That definitely wouldn't be enough. However, a couple lines down it says it does 600 x 1 at 4 ohms mono. Could someone tell me what the difference is between mono and, well, not mono? How can the output be so different between the two? I mean, I don't wanna buy an amp and find out it's only giving each sub 150 watts because I wired it wrong. Thanks again guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

One last thing. The amp is also 300 x 2 @ 2 ohms. Could I run each sub at 2 ohms and just give each 300? Or isn't that possible with two dual 4-ohm voice coil subs?

- Dane

Bridging means to take a - (neg) of one channel and a + (pos) of another channel and the output is both channels mixed. Hence why there is more power when done this way.

A monoblock is basically a 2 channel amp already bridged internally. And it doesnt include a HPF.

Bill T.

Okay, so if I bought that amp, I'd bridge them together, then split them to wire to my dual voice coil subs? That seems kinda weird. How will bridging and then splitting be any more effective than just running them to separate places in the first place? I'm confused....

I mean, they list the amp as 150 x 2 @ 4 ohms, but 600 x 1 @ 4 ohms.... So then what would the benefit be of doing the 150 x 2 thing? I guess I don't get it.

- Dane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.