Problem that I need to diagnose asap!

Participant count
  • Participant list

East
10+ year member

Team New England
So I was running my system full tilt on a low today and my voltage dropped for longer than I'd like before I realized I smelled burnt rubber I opened my hood and noticed my 0 gauge power wire was melting at the fuse block where it connects. The weird part is its only melted on the side closest to the battery but it's not melted at the battery, the distro block or the amplifier. I've never had this happen and I've done shows with this setup for hours. I'm wondering what might have happened I'm going to cut the wire back before where it burned and reattatch it but I need to know why it did this to prevent it in the future.

I'm running 0ga to a 250a fuse, then to a distro block then 2 4 ga from that to my amplifiers. never had a single problem like this before just need to figure this out before I completely ruin my 0 gauge and have to replace it.

I'll get apicture it was definitely not from my engine.

Crescendo 2k @ 1 ohm and my gains are set @ under 2000w I barely turned it up like I said the wire hasn't melted anywhere but that one spot. I don't even drop below 13v ever.

I'll get apicture it was definitely not from my engine.
Crescendo 2k @ 1 ohm and my gains are set @ under 2000w I barely turned it up like I said the wire hasn't melted anywhere but that one spot. I don't even drop below 13v ever.
Either the wire's shielding was damaged and it was grounding to something, or you had a poor connection to the fuse...

Those would be my guesses.

Either the wire's shielding was damaged and it was grounding to something, or you had a poor connection to the fuse...Those would be my guesses.
Yep exactly what I was thinking so I guess the only way to check is to cut the wire back and reattach it better?

Likely a bad connection.
Solder the terminals next time.
It's not a problem with the terminals though they are all solid it's a problem where the fuse block screws down on the wire its burned about 1 inch up and was almost too hot to touch, only on that one spot though that makes me think its connection related and now from voltage drop or anything.

Yeah I'm going going to do that when I redo it thanks everyone I'll let you know and I'll post a picture as well.
Hope you get it taken care of. Honestly it has to do with the wire or connections... not with the amp.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Likely a bad connection.
Solder the terminals next time.
Glad we are on the same page //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I used Solder on my TERMINALS I'm saying this is happening where the fuse block SCREWS DOWN on the wire you want me to solder that? I've never done that before I don't think it's a terminal problem at all because its not burned where my terminals are only where the fuse block is and only on 1 side.

I used Solder on my TERMINALS I'm saying this is happening where the fuse block SCREWS DOWN on the wire you want me to solder that? I've never done that before I don't think it's a terminal problem at all because its not burned where my terminals are only where the fuse block is and only on 1 side.
Try a new fuse block.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.