powermax HO alternators EBAY

Old thread I realize. Just ordered a powermax “180A” for my 03 forester. Mostly because i spent all my money on the things that use juice and the associated wiring. This alt will have its hands full to say the least. Will report back if there is any interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For anyone considering to buy one of these, just think about this..

Doesn't really matter if they put out power or not really.

If they do, well then they're doing what they are advertising. That's great.

If they don't, then don't act surprised.

Longevity will have the final say.

Sure you get an alt for half of what it cost from other more well known brands.... but do you know how much it will cost you to when it sh!ts out on you?

What happens when it stops working and you're more than an hour or two away from your home? Doubt you'll be able to run on battery power longer than that...

Get it towed to a shop? Buy a stock alt? Put it in just to drive your car? Then finally send it in for repair when they probably don't offer it.

Pay more now, pay less, if any later.

Just my 2cents

For anyone considering to buy one of these, just think about this..
Doesn't really matter if they put out power or not really.

If they do, well then they're doing what they are advertising. That's great.

If they don't, then don't act surprised.

Longevity will have the final say.

Sure you get an alt for half of what it cost from other more well known brands.... but do you know how much it will cost you to when it sh!ts out on you?

What happens when it stops working and you're more than an hour or two away from your home? Doubt you'll be able to run on battery power longer than that...

Get it towed to a shop? Buy a stock alt? Put it in just to drive your car? Then finally send it in for repair when they probably don't offer it.

Pay more now, pay less, if any later.

Just my 2cents
I bought one to test out on my project. Engine is not running yet, but I have it in place.

I know my car is not 'average', but I have a dual electrical set up just in case the alt. goes. Seperate battery bank is fed off the High Output, single batt and 90 amp alt run the car.

Bottom line is...all these alternators have issues - YES - even mechman and the other big guys. Lots of stories of these breaking down under all types of circumstances.

So, if mine ever dies - I take the surpintine belt off, and the rest of the car is on Seperate V belt...so I start the car off the car batt and drive on.

Hopefully this is how it pans out in real life. And with a bank of 7 AGM group 31 I can probably shut the sub amp down and still rock my mids and tweets for 2 hour drive home on batt power...

So there's that option....

When/If it goes on me I'll invest in a 'better' one and compare.

[quote name='Mihotta99']@DieselFiend1989 hows your new alt ?[/QUOTE]

The entire car is getting a much needed electrical system repair/upgrade (part of the reason I am cheaping out on the alt for the time being. Trying to get my bs together so i can go back to school being the other reason). I have not had the chance to get the alt to a reputable shop for testing and inspection nor has it been installed. Hoping to get it tested, inspected, and installed in the coming week.

To explain why i am going down the cheap parts road knowing full well the risks.

I do not and one should not expect an alternator that costs less than a third of some of it’s top shelf competitors to perform anywhere near the same or for as long. One should also be aware of the dangers of alternators that are cheap, overdriven, and have insufficient thermal management capabilities as a result.

Facts are, I am not in a position to be spending DC money (or even mechman money) on an alt. The other good options for high output subaru alternators are limited at absolute best. I have stupid easy access to spare subaru parts, so a spare alternator in a pinch would be zero problem to get me home. This car rarely if ever gets two hours away from home. Changing it on the side of the road, in the dark, in the cold in crappy weather, would be annoying. Ultimately, pretty easy on a boxer engine though. Being mounted **** near front, top, and center of the engine. My Aux lighting game is STRONG, so no worries on being able to see or being seen. Even on the nastiest nights. Amperage and voltage are monitored in real time with a aftermarket digi gauge in the dash and a floor mounted andy tab running the obdlink software through a obdlink lx.

I do tend to agree with EVERYONE saying you get what you pay for. I do believe you will get a superior (Not necessarily failure free) product if you pay for it. That being said, I spent three or four hours googling powermax for reviews and info. What I found was precious little hard evidence that suggested they were unreliable garbage. Quite a few reviews stating lower than advertised output... quite a few with advertised output. Even a few failures. Seemed like pretty standard stuff really. If I missed multiple counts of powermax alternator failures, please let me know before I install this thing. Also seems that if price is actually any indicator, at least for my application, the powermax would be priced as a “better” middle of the road alternator. With the brand new Bosch and Denso units costing the most. When compared to the standard local parts shops. I also purchased on ebay, through paypal, on my debit card. So I have multiple forms of recourse through multiple financial institutions if anything goes awry with the sale. ie., powermax not honoring a warranty.
I will of course purchase a better alternator as funds allow. Hopefully a DC. They cost the most after all.

Sorry for the book, not trying to be an arse. I was taught young to make myself as perfectly clear as I was able. So I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

grandam888

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
grandam888
houston, tx
Start date
Participants
Who Replied