powermax HO alternators EBAY

grandam888
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Review of:

Product: Powermax 250 amp alternator commonly sold on ebay

Appearance: alternator comes packaged well, and appears in new condition, very clean.

Performance:(most important factor): the main reason for this review is to clear up any doubt in ebay HO alternators or powermax's atleast. At first i was very skeptical as to whether or not it would do the stated amperage or if they were going to ship me a stock alternator and say it puts out XXX amps.

i can start by saying based on my tests it does its rated amperage or very very close. The alternator is advertised as a 250 amp alternator. As of right now i am running a bb2400.1 amplifier doing around 2100rms watts(app.150amps), 400 watts worth of off road lighting(30 amps), hid headlights(app.20 amps), air conditioner, radio, also a hifonics falcon amplifier(app 20 amps). i can run EVERYTHING @ once in my car including system @ full tilt and stay @ a steady 13.5-13.8 volts above idle rpms. So im sure it puts out at least 200 amps as an alternator reaches it peak amperage when it drops to 12.5 volts.

reliability: I have had this alternator now for about 8 months, and is still running as strong as it did the day i installed it.

Overall value: given the alternator cost me 250$, it does @ or near 250 amps, and is still going strong i would say its a GREAT value. Most of the alternators i see from other HO alt. companies run 300+ dollars, and sometimes they aren't more than 150-170 amps. so being able to purchase a true HO alternator for 250$ is a good deal. Powermax also has some for other vehicles that cost even less with same or better amperage rating.

So overall powermax is a great buy, don't be scared to buy their alternators because they are on Ebay. They have great customer service, and awesome feedback and best of all their products are true to their amperage ratings.

I just bought my own 170amp powermax usa alt. Im am sooo very skeptical because everyone else i ask keeps talking **** even though they havent used them. How do you like it still?

personally, i wouldn't recommend these to my worst enemy.....i'm glad it worked out for op, but it was a huge scam to me....

h t t p : / / imageshack . us/photo/my-images/39/alt . jpg/

i mean, they didn't even TRY to change anything....the stators looked the same, case was the same...i doubt it was even rewound...in the above pick you can see stock, powermax, and a REAL high output alternator built by DC power....The differences between the first two are indecipherable, while the third it would seem obvious that it performs to advertised specs.....I felt cheated out of my money and was upset I didn't bite the bullet and put the money that I threw down the toilet (on the powermax) into the third alternator which is amazing...~220 amps at idle, 270 at 1700 rpms, rated hot mind you....thats my two cents....

I bought one of these about 5 months ago and I returned it after having it tested by Interstate Batteries. They said it wasn't even putting out what the stock alt puts out. I got $150 back when I paid $200 and had to pay for shipping it back. Yes it looked exactly like the stock, nothing different. I was very skeptical especially after talking to the guy on the phone. He advised me not to get it tested because the guys at Autozone would fry it! They did not of course. I wanted to leave bad comments on his page but eBay doesn't allow it after it's been too long. And I wanted to wait until I got my money back to be safe. So now I'm shopping for one and ran into this. I'm thinking Mechmans 220 amp for $400 might be the way to go.

PS: The guy does have a lot of good reviews on ebay, that is what helped convince me to do it. I warned the guy I would get it tested and assured him I would send it back if it did not come close to 200 amps. I don't know about the guy above that said his was good from powermax. Powermax has been doing this for a while (years) under different names on ebay.

well i know this is a old *** thread...

but i orderd a powermax alty to use while my mechman is being rebuilt..

got a "220a" unit for 170bux which is 4 bux cheaper than autozone wants..

PLUS SIDE..i have a buddy who runs this SAME alternator on his grand am..powering a soundstream dtr3400 at .25ohm DAILY and only 120ah of battery..and holding real high 12v range.. his alternator clamped out at 216amps..which is VERY close to rated.. 6months use and still kickn ***

I bought a 180a alternator from Nate at Excessive Amperage for the civic I used to have. It worked fine and powered everything well, though I never got it tested. It's still running today, I sold my car to a friend in 2010. I got the alternator is 2007, so it's been running for 7 yrs now. I highly recommend.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

grandam888

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
grandam888
houston, tx
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies