Powering a single sub with a 4ch amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Josh_101
10+ year member

It was something that popped in my head. I was looking at the newly listed Alpine PDX amps on woofersetc, and the 400 watt 4ch model caught my eye, mostly because of its lower price. Is it possible to run one dual 4ohm sub connecting all 4 channels to all 4 voice coil terminals (since the amp is rated 200w x 2 at 4ohm bridged) as long as the adjustment screws and x-over switches are set at the same position?

It should work fine. Bridge each pair of channels to each coil.

Back in the good old days before amplifier strapping, I knew people who ran two amplifiers per dual voice coil subwoofer. One amp per coil...

D4 sub? I don't see why it wouldn't work
Yeah I was thinking it through in my mind, the impedance rating matches, if gains are set at a matching output, maybe that wouldn't hurt anything. My two eD 8's are getting a little noisy from beatin the crap out of them for the past year. The PDX amps caught my eye because of their compact design and ability to be stacked together easily. My amps are stacked together but it was a PITA to make it happen, and I dont really like how it looks currently.

I'd like to get the SI BM 12" shallow sub, but it only comes in dual 4ohm, so my 2ch 400w amp isn't going to work well for it being that it only makes that much power at 4ohm bridged. The box size I'm limited to (.5cf) is the perfect size for that sub too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.