Powering 8 speakers using a HU and 4ch amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gauntlet
5,000+ posts

bulletproof
I have a 92 Cutlass Ciera SL, which has stock 3.5" speakers in the dash and 6x9" speakers in the rear deck. I have replaced the 3.5's and 6x9's with Infinity Kappa speakers, 35 RMS at 4 ohms for the dash, 110RMS at 4ohms for the rear. My Pioneer 8400MP HU is currently powering them. I would like to add a pair of Audiobahn ACX412 4x10" speakers (110RMS at 4ohms) in the door panels (basically the only speaker that will fit), and a pair of Infinity reference 105t tweeters (50RMS at 4ohms) near the window molding. I want to power the 6x9's and 4x10's with a Power Acoustick Sapphire SP4X800 (pushes 85x4 at 4 ohms) and power the 3.5's and tweeters with my HU.

My questions:

1) How do I install the 4x10s in my door, since I will have to cut the metal of the door panel and make a custom install? I can handle the tweeter installtion, I have done those before.

2) I know how to wire the 4x10s and 6x9s, wire the speaker leads to the amplifier leads in parallel, and wire the amp up. The only question I have is, since my HU has 3 sets of preouts (front, rear, and sub) does it matter which set of preouts (front or rear) i hook the RCA cables up to, or does it make no difference?

3) Lastly, to hook my tweeters and dash up to the HU. Well, the dash are already hooked up, so nevermind about that, but for the tweeters - do I just splice the wires into the now bypassed 6x9 wires?

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated - you guys are teaching me a lot!

Originally posted by Gauntlet My questions:

1) How do I install the 4x10s in my door, since I will have to cut the metal of the door panel and make a custom install? I can handle the tweeter installtion, I have done those before.
If it were me. I would just build some kick panels and put a pair of midbass drivers in there and be done with it. It would be a whole lot easier. Anyway let's see here

bad news-It's not going to be easy. Good news everything else is a piece of cake //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You need a template. The speakers should come with a cutout template. First thing you need to think about is mounting location. when considering a mounting location. You need to think about the mechanisms in the door. And make sure the magnet doesn't interfear with them. once you found your mounting location it's just a matter oc cutting the hole out. You can use the supplied grills. If you want to dress them up a little there is several things you could do.

Originally posted by Gauntlet  

2) I know how to wire the 4x10s and 6x9s, wire the speaker leads to the amplifier leads in parallel, and wire the amp up. The only question I have is, since my HU has 3 sets of preouts (front, rear, and sub) does it matter which set of preouts (front or rear) i hook the RCA cables up to, or does it make no difference?
Your going to use all 4 channels. I would use the front and the rear. Your amp has front and rear rca input's doesn't it ? Go ahead and use them both. You will still have the use of your fader.

3) Lastly, to hook my tweeters and dash up to the HU. Well, the dash are already hooked up, so nevermind about that, but for the tweeters - do I just splice the wires into the now bypassed 6x9 wires?

Yeah you can. Just make sure to use a resistor in line to protect them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated - you guys are teaching me a lot!

No problem my man. That's what we are all here for. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Your going to use all 4 channels. I would use the front and the rear. Your amp has front and rear rca input's doesn't it ? Go ahead and use them both. You will still have the use of your fader.
My HU has front, rear, and sub RCA outputs. I've only instlled 2 channel amps, so i just assumed that the 4 channel amp would only have 2 RCA connections, guess I was wrong.

Yeah you can. Just make sure to use a resistor in line to protect them.
What's resistor in-line?

Thanks

A resistor is something you put inline on your + wire between your H/U and Tweeter to block lower frequencies. Your local audio shop should have some, but find out from your tweeter mfg at what freq to begin blocking.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.