Power Wiring / Fuse Question?

Participant count
  • Participant list

XCivic
10+ year member

I've heard this and even Crutchfield says so..... Does the Fuse Holder(Fuse Block) have to always be within a certain number of inches close to the battery? I've mounted stuff before closer to amp and havent gotten any problems. Is this another myth like.... If you keep making faces it might get stuck:p .............I just want some second opinion about this? Dont want to blow **** up now.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

keep the fuse 18 inches or less from the battery. shorter=better, same with ground and all wires. longer=more resisteance

If you ever got a surge or spike off of your alternater, that fuse would pop. We want it to pop fairly close to the source. If it's inside the car (or trunk) a spike could cause the jacket of the power cable to melt exposing the bare copper wire inside. If that happened, the wire would "weld" itself to the metal of your car because the circuit would be completed back to the battery. Enough heat would be created to potentially burn the carpet and then your car down. Fuse holders are designed to save the car really, not the amp.

Keep that fuse holder up close to the battery. Distrubution blocks however can be mounted near the amp.

Also, you may wanna try a circuit breaker.

The closer you put the fuse to the source, the less chance there is for the wire to short to ground before the fuse. It's a safety issue, period.

Putting the fuse in the trunk near the amps would be exactly the same, electrically, as having it near the battery. But that whole length of wire before the fuse is subject to shorting out if the insulation rubs against something metal and wears through. If the fuse is ~after~ the short, it does no good to protect the car from fire.

Always put current protection devices as close to the source as practical. This is standard electrical practice and applies to house wiring as well as cars n' stuff.

Originally posted by maylar The closer you put the fuse to the source, the less chance there is for the wire to short to ground before the fuse. It's a safety issue, period.

Putting the fuse in the trunk near the amps would be exactly the same, electrically, as having it near the battery. But that whole length of wire before the fuse is subject to shorting out if the insulation rubs against something metal and wears through. If the fuse is ~after~ the short, it does no good to protect the car from fire.

Always put current protection devices as close to the source as practical. This is standard electrical practice and applies to house wiring as well as cars n' stuff.
Isn't this what Bean said?

Hey thanks dude. I know I know what the hell I'm talking about. Jeez, I must of rubbed too may people the wrong way on this forum. Right Alaxan? Next time time I'm in MN, I'm buying you a beer. You and I might have different opinions, but I know at least you know what you're talking about.

Originally posted by bean Hey thanks dude. I know I know what the hell I'm talking about. Jeez, I must of rubbed too may people the wrong way on this forum. Right Alaxan? Next time time I'm in MN, I'm buying you a beer. You and I might have different opinions, but I know at least you know what you're talking about.
Hey I never said you did not know what you were talking about did I? LMAO Hey next time you are up here I will take you up on that beer and I will show you one hell of a nice Orion setup too LMAO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

XCivic

10+ year member
XCivic
Baton Rouge, LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from