Power wire to amp getting hot. Ideas?

no it can support around 180 amps in a 20 foot run.
My amp pulls 180-250amps on an amp Dyno... I just installed a 300amp 220@idle alter. Always have 13v + now hardly ever under 14v. The length of the run is about 10-12ft and is 2/0 ofc welding cable it's between the size of a dime to penny thick(actual wire thickness not including the insulation) so I may be hitting over that 180 line at high volume?

My amp pulls 180-250amps on an amp Dyno... I just installed a 300amp 220@idle alter. Always have 13v + now hardly ever under 14v. The length of the run is about 10-12ft and is 2/0 ofc welding cable it's between the size of a dime to penny thick(actual wire thickness not including the insulation) so I may be hitting over that 180 line at high volume?
Nope. Nor on most music after impedance rise

With clipping you may get 200a but that still shouldn't cause heat. Where is the heat found? The entire cable or?

Do you have a dedicated ground run

I'd consider the ampacity of that cable to easily be 300a for music

You mean you didn't go onto CL and find some random guy to pay him to figure that out for you?!
REAL ANALOG music reproduction does NOT REQUIRE a COMPUTING DEGREE to figure out HOW TO MAKE IT WORK!!!

It's got a SIMPLE SWITCH!! ON/OFF!!

John Kuthe...

With clipping you may get 200a but that still shouldn't cause heat. Where is the heat found? The entire cable or?
Do you have a dedicated ground run

I'd consider the ampacity of that cable to easily be 300a for music

Amp gets pretty warm, not really hot tho, it is the wire between the batteries and the amp that is getting hot. Not even the whole wire, just the half between the amp and the fuse, the fuse to battery side isn't getting hot just that 10" run between the amp and fuse that's getting hot. And it's not like it's super hot but it's like noticably hit to the touch. And my ground is about 10"-16". from the amp to the batteries, then from the batteries to main start battery is probably 10-12' ft. Which is grounded to the frame and the block.and I have another ground from the frame grnd to the block grnd. I wonder if having that long if a ground might be causing some of the heat build up.

But putting double power input from my 2 rear batteries, and then a double ground input one to the 2 batteries and one to the frame near the amp shouldn't hurt tho no?

Amp gets pretty warm, not really hot tho, it is the wire between the batteries and the amp that is getting hot. Not even the whole wire, just the half between the amp and the fuse, the fuse to battery side isn't getting hot just that 10" run between the amp and fuse that's getting hot. And it's not like it's super hot but it's like noticably hit to the touch. And my ground is about 10"-16". from the amp to the batteries, then from the batteries to main start battery is probably 10-12' ft. Which is grounded to the frame and the block.and I have another ground from the frame grnd to the block grnd. I wonder if having that long if a ground might be causing some of the heat build up.
But putting double power input from my 2 rear batteries, and then a double ground input one to the 2 batteries and one to the frame near the amp shouldn't hurt tho no?
It won't hurt, no. But it might be a waste is what I'm getting at.

What fuse rating is it? What fuse holder? If you can make another cable try running a cable without the fuse (for testing, don't leave it that way, especially with a rear battery). I'd be willing to bet its your fuse holder, the fuse, or the connections at the fuse holder.

REAL ANALOG music reproduction does NOT REQUIRE a COMPUTING DEGREE to figure out HOW TO MAKE IT WORK!!!
It's got a SIMPLE SWITCH!! ON/OFF!!

John Kuthe...
Why are you even saying this? Do you have no inkling of what you look like when you act this way?

check the connection. is it hot? in a + DC system your current starts through the ground so the wire should be hot at he battery if it was the wire.

this makes me think the wire is broken and is creating a hot spot.

It won't hurt, no. But it might be a waste is what I'm getting at.
What fuse rating is it? What fuse holder? If you can make another cable try running a cable without the fuse (for testing, don't leave it that way, especially with a rear battery). I'd be willing to bet its your fuse holder, the fuse, or the connections at the fuse holder.
They are all 200 amp fuses. 3 are $18.00 eBay fuses clear case, 14k gold plated cubes with the screw that pinches down on the wire ends. They seem to be pretty decent. Maybe I should switch to 250 amp fuses? Invest in more wire and double everything up? I do plan on adding 2 more fu750 18s and another Machete M2000D with in the next few months in a C pillar wall build. So buying things like more wire and adapters and more fuses and stuff doesn't bother me too much as long as I install in a way that I can reuse it when I start rebuilding

They are all 200 amp fuses. 3 are $18.00 eBay fuses clear case, 14k gold plated cubes with the screw that pinches down on the wire ends. They seem to be pretty decent. Maybe I should switch to 250 amp fuses? Invest in more wire and double everything up? I do plan on adding 2 more fu750 18s and another Machete M2000D with in the next few months in a C pillar wall build. So buying things like more wire and adapters and more fuses and stuff doesn't bother me too much as long as I install in a way that I can reuse it when I start rebuilding
I would for sure try a 250a or 300a fuse

I mean, how hot are we talking? If it's warm leave it alone, mildly hot after a LONG listening session at loud volume leave it alone. If it's nearly too hot to touch you need to start getting worried.

Are the wire holes completely filled up? Mushroom the end of the wire a little bit and really torque down the wire and the fuse terminal. Check it after a few hours or a day, the wire will give a little bit and need to be torqued again. Get the absolute best connection you can and it's not enough, then spend money on upgrading.

Are you measuring voltage at the amp inputs btw?

edit: just read how hot you said it was, as long as your voltages at the amp inputs are good don't worry about it man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would for sure try a 250a or 300a fuse
I mean, how hot are we talking? If it's warm leave it alone, mildly hot after a LONG listening session at loud volume leave it alone. If it's nearly too hot to touch you need to start getting worried.

Are the wire holes completely filled up? Mushroom the end of the wire a little bit and really torque down the wire and the fuse terminal. Check it after a few hours or a day, the wire will give a little bit and need to be torqued again. Get the absolute best connection you can and it's not enough, then spend money on upgrading.

Are you measuring voltage at the amp inputs btw?

edit: just read how hot you said it was, as long as your voltages at the amp inputs are good don't worry about it man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yea I got everything cranked down really good and still getting hot... And you guys are wrong about my amp. It definitely pulls way over 180 amp easily. My amp is the same exact amp as a Skar RP2000.1 which just did 3000w Dynamic Burst RMS @ 1ohm on an amp Dyno and pulled just about 300amps... Think I'm just gonna double up. so do I need to run double wire all the way from the alternator or is it ok to just double my power from my batteries by the amp? It will be a week or 2 before the wire I ordered comes but I have enough to double it from the rear batteries. And for the ground would I be ok putting the one to the batteries that also runs back to the start battery, and the second ground to the frame right there somewhere? Or is running it through the batteries back to the start battery the way to go? Because I know it's not getting total melting hot but then again I turn it down when it starts getting hot like that so it doesn't end up melting. Oh and definalky try the 250 amp fuse right? Think that may solve the issue?

Thanks you everyone who has reply'd tho I do appreciate it. To think that just 4 months ago I had 4x Pyle 12s on cheap dual n pioneer amps and thought I was the loudest ever lmao... Dang I've come along way with y'all's help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.