Power related question

Getting a bigger amp and I've upgraded the alt and wiring and lights still dim with with current amp. I want to add a second battery but came across this...... The only reason to add an additional battery is if you run the system without the engine running .......Is that true? I don't plan on running my system with the car off. So adding a second battery won't help?

Getting a bigger amp and I've upgraded the alt and wiring and lights still dim with with current amp. I want to add a second battery but came across this...... The only reason to add an additional battery is if you run the system without the engine running .......Is that true? I don't plan on running my system with the car off. So adding a second battery won't help?
False and outdated information. The alternator can only supply so much especially at idle, you need a reserve bank to supplement power when the amp demands it. Nobody plays loud bass with the car off not with the current draw we have nowadays, 1 minute of full tilt play will already get you dropping down to 10-11 volts. Guys that say that are severely misinformed and out of the loop.

False and outdated information. The alternator can only supply so much especially at idle, you need a reserve bank to supplement power when the amp demands it. Nobody plays loud bass with the car off not with the current draw we have nowadays, 1 minute of full tilt play will already get you dropping down to 10-11 volts. Guys that say that are severely misinformed and out of the loop.
My underhood battery is standard..... Will it be ok if my secondary battery is agm?

No, any battery inside the vehicle needs to be sealed off aka AGM/marine batteries The fumes of a normal unsealed lead acid battery are toxics if its not sealed off.
No, thats not what I'm asking.... I'm asking is it ok for my underhood battery which is a standard battery be ok to feed the agm which will be the secondary battery inside trunk.....

No, thats not what I'm asking.... I'm asking is it ok for my underhood battery which is a standard battery be ok to feed the agm which will be the secondary battery inside trunk.....
thats fine just wire them parallel. You'll read posts where people claim that they have different charging rates which shortens life spans etc... but from a lot of people's experiences including mines, you'll have zero issues just wiring your AGM parallel to your under the hood battery.

thats fine just wire them parallel. You'll read posts where people claim that they have different charging rates which shortens life spans etc... but from a lot of people's experiences including mines, you'll have zero issues just wiring your AGM parallel to your under the hood battery.
now, this is the stuff i was looking for when i asked my battery question. even tho i didnt ask the initial or subsequent questions, thank you for these answers

As far as the ground, as long as the lead battery is grounded to the chas and the agm is grounded to the chas I don't have to run another whole run of ground from lead to agm correct?

now, this is the stuff i was looking for when i asked my battery question. even tho i didnt ask the initial or subsequent questions, thank you for these answers
Yea I searched and came across your thread, seems we where asking the same question/s just in different ways. Still a little unclear on what size of the agm secondary to run tho.....

Yea I searched and came across your thread, seems we where asking the same question/s just in different ways. Still a little unclear on what size of the agm secondary to run tho.....
Buy a headlight relay harness. That will help with dimming and give your output a little boost. Kinda like the big 3 for headlights.
That sounds like a good solution to the dimming. I need an agm badly lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.