power hungry bp1200 and eclipse subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

cyber256
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have 2 eclipse 88120 DVC subs in a sealed box powered by a JBL BP1200 running at 1 ohm (i think...i have the pos of both coils on both subs going to the pos amp out on one side [left channel] and the negs of both coils on both subs going to the neg amp out on the other side [right channel]...these subs are 4 ohm DVC so that should be 1 ohm impedance right?) I have a dodge neon so i knew that i would need a bigger alt so i bought a 135 amp alternator. Well even during the day with no headlights on or anything the HU still dims when the bass hits and i don't have the gain on the amp set above half. The bass boost is only at about 1 and the low pass is set to about 40. So i'm wondering what do i need now? I was thinking about a 2 farad cap but i've heard ppl say that they don't really help and are just a bigger burden on the alt. And i've heard that a deep cycle battery is an option but then don't you need to hook the alt to it in order to keep charged? Thanks for your help

Are you running any other amps ? Just the one shouldn't be a problem. In your case a capacitor probably would help your problem. You should have enough juice coming from the alt not worry. The reason myself and others say cap's are just a band aid solution. Is because if you have severe electrical problems. Adding things such as extra batteries, or capacitors. Puts more stress on the alternator. The extra batteries and cap's need to be charged too. So IMHO the cap sounds like a good choice. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.