possibly hooked my amp up backwards, started smoking.... what happened to it?

alec14
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Alpena, MI
So I was hooking my amp up yesterday with a friend, and he was putting the ground and power in. He touched it once to the post, it sparked, and he put it on the post and began clamping it down. All of a sudden, it started smoking like crazy. We unhooked it, but i'm unsure what to do next. Are just the fuses blown? is it gone? any help would be greatly appreciated. My amp is a Rockford Fosgate R-1000-1D

Look at my username bro. that is why you always disconnect the battery when installing an amplifier. Things to check though (although it sounds like its almost certainly blown) are the fuses on the sides of the amp. Possibly open it up and blow dust out (which could of been causing the smoke, again highly unlikely)

Look at my username bro. that is why you always disconnect the battery when installing an amplifier. Things to check though (although it sounds like its almost certainly blown) are the fuses on the sides of the amp. Possibly open it up and blow dust out (which could of been causing the smoke, again highly unlikely)
my local audio shop didn't unhook the battery the first time, i even watched them hook it up. so there's gotta be some way that it wouldn't blow, and i really hope it's not blown

my local audio shop didn't unhook the battery the first time, i even watched them hook it up. so there's gotta be some way that it wouldn't blow, and i really hope it's not blown
Then your local audio shop doesn't care about your equipment. Learn how electricity works before even attempting to do electrical work.

You said you hooked it up backwards. You said smoke rolled out of it. You KNOW it's blown. Smoke doesn't roll out of anything and it's still good as new.

You said you hooked it up backwards. You said smoke rolled out of it. You KNOW it's blown. Smoke doesn't roll out of anything and it's still good as new.
it's not necessarily blown. just a couple things to fix. rf amps have a switch that blows and puts it in protect mode when something like it happens

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Then your local audio shop doesn't care about your equipment. Learn how electricity works before even attempting to do electrical work.
yeah, electricity isn't rocket science. i know how it operates.

it's not necessarily blown. just a couple things to fix. rf amps have a switch that blows and puts it in protect mode when something like it happens 

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

yeah, electricity isn't rocket science. i know how it operates.
Oh it's blown for sure and electricity is kinda tricky or you'd be listening to your new amp instead of airing out your car!

I know a guy who can fix it.

He fixed my 5k for $170 and when I goofed up on the amp (i wired my subs wrong) and popped a transistor or something. He fixed it for free even though it was my goof.

and he fixed a 3k of mine for 125 (a local shop charged me $450, and the company who made the amp charged $300 flat rate)

I know a guy who can fix it.He fixed my 5k for $170 and when I goofed up on the amp (i wired my subs wrong) and popped a transistor or something. He fixed it for free even though it was my goof.

and he fixed a 3k of mine for 125 (a local shop charged me $450, and the company who made the amp charged $300 flat rate)
please pm me some info on him. i really would like to get it fixed

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

budget for new amp ?
around 75-100, need something to power a skar vvx-12

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Oh it's blown for sure and electricity is kinda tricky or you'd be listening to your new amp instead of airing out your car!
hey man, i'm thinking positive. no need to be condescending, everyone messes up now and then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.