Porting my stealth enclosure? (wip pics)

irish350
10+ year member

So, my current (and recently melty) setup is a hifonics bxi2608 and an fi q 12". I had been running this setup at 4 ohms (800w, per hifonics), but i cranked the boost knob and blew the sub (stood up to an alpine m1005 and a kicker 1200.1 previously).

Ive gotten in touch with the guys at Fi and it sounds like 1) the q isnt made to withstand the kind of power i wanna give it (id like to throw 1 ohm, 2600ish watts down), and 2) none of their subs really like being in a sealed box.

Where that leaves me now is with a box that needs to be ported, a sub that needs to be purchased, and an amp that needs to be feeding a properly matched driver. I need to know if ill be able to port this box with any degree of accuracy, or if thats out of the question (and i have to leave it sealed), what kind of sub i should be looking at to handle that power and still sound good (one thing i loved about the q).

I dont remember the volume of the box (1.8-2.5cu), but im thinking the irregular shape will be my downfall here (i think theres space to expand if it can be tuned). Disregard the ugliness, its fiberglassed, then was bondoed, then foamed in prep for vinyl, then it was decided that the contours of the box would only allow for carpet (well see).

What do yous guys think?

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_68073.jpg

and in the car

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_8930.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

It looks like a constructive tumor, with less blood.

The thing is, you're not asking a specific question, but looking for any criticism or thoughts, given by the statement "What do you guys think?" :p

Where can you place the port?

idmax would work in there sealed. 1000rms rated. If you add a port it would make it look even weirder because it would most likely be sticking out at an akward angle

not gonnabe the right size if you port it. you need more volume to run ported. 1cf mightbe fine for a sealed 12 but to port it you will need 1.5 or 2cf
The OP states :

I dont remember the volume of the box (1.8-2.5cu),
Which seems just about right for a ported enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Depending on how much the port will displace....

so the box is probably around 2 cubes now.. i figured i could get any extra space i may need on the left side of the box (looking at the sub. where all the pretty wiring is), since ill be glassing that rear trim panel anyway.

I was thinking i could get the space i needed to port the box, but it would be pointless if it cant be tuned for the sub i decide on. Would it be possible to tune such an irregularly shaped box?

re the IDmax, spec wise thatd be pretty similar to the Q (also 1k rms) id like to double that if i could. (brutus amp should be putting out around 2k rms @ 1ohm)

appreciating the input guys. Im looking for info on porting a box like this, but im having trouble finding helpful stuff. definitely not trying to roll down to best buy for advice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

figure out the ACTUAL internal volume. What do you want it tuned too? then you could port it, I think easiest way would be a 6" flared or aero port i think they're called. make a hole in your box, figure out length needed, your done. Wont be "stealth" though.

Good job though, i know must have taken a while to actually build that.

The OP states :

Which seems just about right for a ported enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Depending on how much the port will displace....
Ic reading>me thats plenty of room for a 12 ported. possibly even to big depending on the sub.

2cf no way looks like 1-1.2cf before driver displacemnt
yeah, i just went out and put '1 cu ft' of packing peanuts in the box and it filled it up to about 3 inches back from where the sub mounts (ie, almost full). In the bag it looked like way more than 1 cu ft... (looking back at FIs site, the sub calls for .8-1.5, i was originally looking at the ported specs)

im mathtarded, and these online calculators wont work w this box. Anyone have an easy way to figure the volume out on this thing, or are the peanuts my best option for accuracy?

yeah, i just went out and put '1 cu ft' of packing peanuts in the box and it filled it up to about 3 inches back from where the sub mounts (ie, almost full). In the bag it looked like way more than 1 cu ft... (looking back at FIs site, the sub calls for .8-1.5, i was originally looking at the ported specs)
im mathtarded, and these online calculators wont work w this box. Anyone have an easy way to figure the volume out on this thing, or are the peanuts my best option for accuracy?
if its sealed, fill it with water. that will be the most accurate. Just use a 1 liter bottle or something of a known volume and keep adding until its full. Unless you have a huge graduated cylinder this will be the easiest way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.