Ported to sealed

Participant count
  • Participant list

PapaGeno21
10+ year member

Captain Questions
Hey guys the box I have in my sig is my first ported box on my completely new setup. My old CVR's were sealed and I honestly THINK I like sealed more than the ported box. I dont care at all about SPL. Loudness doesent mean anything to me, even though I will lose some power using a sealed box I dont care becuase 1000 watts is so much more than I need im fine with it. I leave my bass knob at around 2 with rap and more like 7 with rock becuase the ported box isnt hitting the way my sealed box used to with the nice bass drums and stuff.

So im thinking about building a box on my own, sealed kind of like a test to see what I really like. I was planning on 3/4" MDF and if I can find 1" I would use that.

My plan was 3.75 Cubic Feet with dimensions being

24" Wide, 18" High, 19" Deep. I figured that would be a good happy medium for my CVX 15" DVC 4 ohm.

Anyways I have one small problem. Where do I get the terminals I put on the back of the box so that I can connect speaker wires to the box?

What do you all think? Im not even going to unbolt the ported box or anything until I test the sealed one just to make sure I like it.

Also, I was going to use wood glue and drill out the holes, and countersink them also so it looks nice, but on the inside do I need some kind of caulking? What kind do you all use?

Should I use poli-fill?

You can get terminals online at partsexpress.com, or I bet radio shack has some or a local car audio store. I say go for it and try it sealed. I usually use silicone caulk. No real need for polyfill since you're building it the size you want so I wouldn't waste my time getting any.

So I went to radio shack and got plate terminals, then went to lowes and got a sheet of 3/4 MDF.

I built a box and I double plated the front so its got 1 1/2" thick fornt for the sub to bolt on. Its got 3.83 cubes and I will be trying it out tomorrow.

I will get pics tomorrow after the sub is in it and shes rockin.

Im hoping it sounds the way I am hoping it sounds!

I used silicone on all the inside edges and on the terminals box, also I used wood glue.

Does it matter which way it faces now? Can I face it forward (Its in the back of my jeep with no back seats so the current box is right behind my 2 front seats and it faces back). But I was thinking I can face it forward which would be cool.

Thanks!

Flip it around and try it out in different orientations and see for yourself. I had a ZJ and it was loudest facing the tailgate (granted my box wasn't just behind the front seats though).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.