Ported enclosure in limited space sundown sa 10"

93foxwcubes

houston
Ok so im having a difficult time finding out how to design a ported box for my sub.

Here's what i have.

10" sundown sa

Total space is something like 2.60f3 before displacement.

It's a small compartment behind my seat in a freightliner classic (semi truck)

I believe the compartment is for a small fridge.

I have a ported probox at the moment in place which takes up a little more than half of the compartment . Box before displacement is 1.25 i think...

The box sounds good and loud for one ten sa. But i got bit by the bass bug.. Again and want more. Ive always had 15" subs. From fosgates to orion ti kicker solo B. Always 15"s. At one point 4 of them on 2 old school xtr orion amps two channel. (that was a while back)

Back on the subject. I want to fit either a bigger ported box to get the full potential out of the sa (probox is 1.25f3 with square 2x2 port, length??) or build a sealed enclosure with 2 sa 10"s. Its one or the other. The sealed box would give each woofer 1.2f3. These are the dimensions i have to work with.

22" height

18" length (deep)

16" wide

I can build a duel sealed box but i really like the ported box sound and would like to keep it. I could have someone build it right.... but id rather spend the money on owning a second sundown sa ans build my own sealed box.

Any advice, (spec sheet desing) will be greatly appreciated and put to work immediately. I have my tools and 3/4 mdf on standby.

Thanks

P.S

Rest of the audio is pioneer hu, infinity kappa 6.5 components, Kenwood 4 channel, ct sounds 1400.1, kinetik HC1200.

Not an answer to your question, sorry :/

But I've always wanted to know if semi drivers had systems! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So, thank you for this post! As for the box, I myself am still a noob and don't want to offer any crappy sheet advice lol

Good luck!

Not an answer to your question, sorry :/But I've always wanted to know if semi drivers had systems! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So, thank you for this post! As for the box, I myself am still a noob and don't want to offer any crappy sheet advice lol

Good luck!
Not many truck drivers out there with systems or setups that went boom. In fact ive only run into 3 trucks that i could tell had some kind of after market setup and a 4th driver i herd him bragging on the cb radio about he had some shop supe up his system. He said he had a couple of Kenwood 12" in custom box installed and some 6x9s, all amped up by fosgate amps. He sounded really happy. Lol.

While listening in on the conversation i was like " u bet my one ten sundown hits louder than his twelves... Lol probably not.

I don't think too many semi drivers have loud systems in their rigs cause loud music keeps us from hearing what happens around us. A honk from a car, a blown tire etc etc.

Personally i only turn it up when im sitting around waiting to get loaded or at 3 am when sleep is getting to me.

Really hope i get some advice today. Got the day off and would like to start building a ported box.

Not an answer to your question, sorry :/But I've always wanted to know if semi drivers had systems! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I drive a Freightliner too, and I love systems and bass! Just dont have a system in the truck, but sure would be nice.

I drive a Freightliner too, and I love systems and bass! Just dont have a system in the truck, but sure would be nice.
Its alot more fun and entertaining ti drive down them roads with a good system in the big rig. I started off with a less expensive setup and after 4 months

Decided to up the Monoblock.

Started out with

Kicker dx 500.1 & cvr sub. It was a great bang for the buck.

Yea man. Im a yard jockey now, but when I was OTR, the music is what kept me going sometimes. Well, that and maybe a bit of caffine on occasion. I'm curious to see what people suggest for the space in your tractor. Was thinking 8"s, but if you can do 10"s, then that's a no brainer.

Yea man. Im a yard jockey now, but when I was OTR, the music is what kept me going sometimes. Well, that and maybe a bit of caffine on occasion. I'm curious to see what people suggest for the space in your tractor. Was thinking 8"s, but if you can do 10"s, then that's a no brainer.
Yea 8s be nice but i already have a ten. Love the way it hits but especially the lows..

If i dont get any ideas by sat night ill have to go with the duel ten setup in sealed box.

So usually the concessus is that sealed gives you slightly more accurate bass. Most believe that you can do nearly just as well with a very well designed ported box. Since space is an issue for you you may have to compromise, ported will be nice and loud, but take up lots of room. I would look into aero-ports as it seems you want more bass in a nice package.

Well im open to any advice on building this ported box. But if i get no input on it sat afternoon i will have to go buy another sa, 10" and build a sealed box.

So usually the concessus is that sealed gives you slightly more accurate bass. Most believe that you can do nearly just as well with a very well designed ported box. Since space is an issue for you you may have to compromise, ported will be nice and loud, but take up lots of room. I would look into aero-ports as it seems you want more bass in a nice package.
Well im open to any advice on building this ported box. But if i get no input on it sat afternoon i will have to go buy another sa, 10" and build a sealed box.

Why are you in such a rush? But look at sundowns site, on the page with your subwoofer they have enclosure reccomendations for both single and double ported. (You'll have to download a free car program called sketchmeup) but these use a regular slot port. An Aeroport uses a piece of pipe. A lot of people even use pvc and just flair the ends with a heat gun and a bowl.

But none of that is helpful if you don't know what you want. Do you want a slightly bigger box? Technically 1.25 is within the reccomendations for a ported box. So do you want to take the time to build a new ported box and have it sound slightly better? Or do you want to get that thing loud?

22x18x16 with 3/4" MDF construction = 2.83 cuft before port and sub displacement

SA10s dispace 0.1 each, therefore 2.83-0.1-0.1 = 2.63 cuft before port.

4" flared precision port, 11" length (12" including flares, 4.25" outside diameter) = 0.1 cuft displacement, 31hz tuning

2.63- 0.1 cuft = 2.53 cuft net = 1.265 each at 31 HZ

While a single 4" flared port is a tad small if you're running rated power (1200w RMS) it will still sound a lot louder then a sealed box of the same size. Well worth it.

Use this port and trim it down from 17" overall length to 12"

Precision Port 4" Flared Speaker Cabinet Port Tube Kit

22x18x16 with 3/4" MDF construction = 2.83 cuft before port and sub displacementSA10s dispace 0.1 each, therefore 2.83-0.1-0.1 = 2.63 cuft before port.

4" flared precision port, 11" length (12" including flares, 4.25" outside diameter) = 0.1 cuft displacement, 31hz tuning

2.63- 0.1 cuft = 2.53 cuft net = 1.265 each at 31 HZ

While a single 4" flared port is a tad small if you're running rated power (1200w RMS) it will still sound a lot louder then a sealed box of the same size. Well worth it.

Use this port and trim it down from 17" overall length to 12"

Precision Port 4" Flared Speaker Cabinet Port Tube Kit
Thanks for the info. Now i think i understand everything you stated. The port would be a pvc of 4" size, flared at the end. Now i have two question marks..

Exact placement of the port and length? You mentioned two lengths. Which length would give me best sound quality at 700w rms? Plan on keeping it at that power for a long while.

Appreciate all the input, thanks

Why are you in such a rush? But look at sundowns site, on the page with your subwoofer they have enclosure reccomendations for both single and double ported. (You'll have to download a free car program called sketchmeup) but these use a regular slot port. An Aeroport uses a piece of pipe. A lot of people even use pvc and just flair the ends with a heat gun and a bowl.
But none of that is helpful if you don't know what you want. Do you want a slightly bigger box? Technically 1.25 is within the reccomendations for a ported box. So do you want to take the time to build a new ported box and have it sound slightly better? Or do you want to get that thing loud?
Hey there, sorry took long to reply. Yes i seen the sundown website and even downloaded the program to

Look at the subwoofer enclosures sundown recomends. Problem is the single box design doesn't fit into the compartment i have for the subwoofer box. No matter if i flip it, turn it etc. Yes i can reduce one of the measurements and make it fit, but wont that change the length of the port?? I dont really get what determines the length of the port and size??? So since i cant use sundowns desing do to its size, i came here looking for advice.

One guy gave me some dimensions and the port size but i didn't get when he noted "use this port and trim it from 17“

to 12". I don't understand what he ment there. Im waiting on him to clear that up for me so i can proceed with the build.

Oh, general purpose of the bigger box instead of sticking with the ported pro box is to bring out the sundowns true potential. I don't believe im getting the sundowns all.

Thanks for the advice

Hey there, sorry took long to reply. Yes i seen the sundown website and even downloaded the program to Look at the subwoofer enclosures sundown recomends. Problem is the single box design doesn't fit into the compartment i have for the subwoofer box. No matter if i flip it, turn it etc. Yes i can reduce one of the measurements and make it fit, but wont that change the length of the port?? I dont really get what determines the length of the port and size??? So since i cant use sundowns desing do to its size, i came here looking for advice.

One guy gave me some dimensions and the port size but i didn't get when he noted "use this port and trim it from 17“

to 12". I don't understand what he ment there. Im waiting on him to clear that up for me so i can proceed with the build.

Oh, general purpose of the bigger box instead of sticking with the ported pro box is to bring out the sundowns true potential. I don't believe im getting the sundowns all.

Thanks for the advice
Ohh, alright. I was a little confused with the compartment. But I believe what he means is to cut down the pipe to 12" before putting it in the box. Those things come as kits with flared end pieces. You could do it with pvc pipe if you're on a budget also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.