Ported box for 3 Eclipse 88120.4 Subs

Participant count
  • Participant list
Okay well i BARLEY got the box in the civic, it was a super tight fit but at least it went in. Ive been playing with port lengths but i'm having trouble figuring out how long my port actually is because im using a 90" turn of 4" pvc pipe so my air is firing into the cabin but i don't know how to calculate the length of that. Right now i think my port is too long because its hitting the super low frequency super loud and dies off around 60 hz. I ended up using 2 4" pvc prts because that's what i had. I hardly hear any port noise plus i like the punch the subs have with the lack of port area. I'm sure i'm loosing out on a ton of spl though. Ill take a pic tomorrow to show you guys.

At the moment i have only my 6.5 silver flutes and they are set to pick up around 80 and above. I have no room to put 8"s plus i don't think it would be worth getting 8"s just to fill 50-100 hz i can let my 12's just pick up till 80 then send the rest to my 6.5 silver flute. Well right now i honestly think the box is tuned at around 24hz so i need to shorten the ports to 28hz and hopefully that 60-70hz will come back. If i go with 2 6" ports instead of 2 4" would there be a big noticeable difference in spl? I have plenty of 4" pipe can i go with 3 4" ports and get more spl?

If i had a pair of focal utopia components i still wouldn't send 60hz to them. An 8" or 10" can handle that much better. Still wondering about the port question...

thanks for the help guys

thats why you dont settle for typical components
There aren't many 6.5" mids that can actually work in a 2-way and can produce a generous amount of midbass...but then again, I like a lot of midbass. What do you run? And what do you have your sub/components crossed at? I'd bet you'd be surprised how high your sub plays, no matter how low you have it crossed.

Still wondering about the port question...thanks for the help guys
Yes, adding a third port will give you more radiating surface area, so you'll have the potential to be louder. Just remember that you need to adjust the length of the other two as well and not just add a third of the same length. Maybe tune a little bit higher, like 30hz, and see if that helps your upper-end response. Either that, or shrink the box size down a little.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.