Port of A 4th Order

daltone34

US
So. I'm planning and designing a build for 6 SA 12's in a 4th order in a SUV and I was wondering when using an online calculator for port tuning and measurements do you use just the ported portion's volume or would I use the combined volume of the ported and sealed portion? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So. I'm planning and designing a build for 6 SA 12's in a 4th order in a SUV and I was wondering when using an online calculator for port tuning and measurements do you use just the ported portion's volume or would I use the combined volume of the ported and sealed portion? Thanks.
you are going about this all wrong if you are using an online calculator.

You also want a meter to know the exact peak resonance of your sealed section so you can tune your ported side to that to get the best output and bandwidth. If you are just building blindly it'll be a disaster.

you are going about this all wrong if you are using an online calculator.
You also want a meter to know the exact peak resonance of your sealed section so you can tune your ported side to that to get the best output and bandwidth. If you are just building blindly it'll be a disaster.
Ok thanks

That's what I was thinking but I never like to be simple haha
flatwall will definitely be easier to get loud then a 4th order built without a proper term lab/RTA. Just build the wall with a lot of airspace and port then start shrinking the port till you get the best result. My buddy had to tear down his 4th order wall, convert it to 6th order wall, still didnt do so hot and now finally a flat wall and he's 6 db louder with the flatwall then the 4th order setup on fewer subs. So unless you like tearing down your sh*t, just make life easier and louder with a flat wall lol.

flatwall will definitely be easier to get loud then a 4th order built without a proper term lab/RTA. Just build the wall with a lot of airspace and port then start shrinking the port till you get the best result. My buddy had to tear down his 4th order wall, convert it to 6th order and now finally a flat wall and he's 6 db louder with the flatwall then the 4th order setup.
I hear you. I dunno.. I LOVE the lower bass (around 30-40 Hz is my happy zone) but also want to still keep my higher frequencies like 55 Hz to hurt more so would I still be able to do so with a flatwall?

I hear you. I dunno.. I LOVE the lower bass (around 30-40 Hz is my happy zone) but also want to still keep my higher frequencies like 55 Hz to hurt more so would I still be able to do so with a flatwall?
yeah, 4th order will kill higher frequencies super fast like literally dead a few hz right after port tuning, I would not recommend it. You'll have much better luck with flatwall with what you want. Thats basically the ideal bandwidth you achieve with flatwall but you'll play a bit lower as well down to 25hz or so and still hurt in the 50hz range.

yeah, 4th order will kill higher frequencies super fast, I would not recommend it. You'll have much better luck with flatwall with what you want. Thats basically the ideal bandwidth you achieve with flatwall but you'll play a bit lower as well down to 25hz or so and still hurt in the 50hz range.
Thanks, man! So, flatwall tuned to about what frequency? Sorry to keep bothering you with these questions lol

That's what I was thinking but I never like to be simple haha
wtf? I myself like to keep things simple and not overcomplicate things. Unless you know what your doing or have a good enclosure/wall designer on duty that you know of.

Thanks, man! So, flatwall tuned to about what frequency? Sorry to keep bothering you with these questions lol
i'd say start high with higher port area and tuning then gradually shrink your port (add wood pieces) and lower tuning till its at the response you like.

wtf? I myself like to keep things simple and not overcomplicate things. Unless you know what your doing or have a good enclosure/wall designer on duty that you know of.
I'm just weird like that I guess.. If it's complicated then it's me lol

i'd say start high with higher port area and tuning then gradually shrink your port (add wood pieces) and lower tuning till its at the response you like.
Thank you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.