port direction and fun stuff

Participant count
  • Participant list
18" sub with HCCA motor with PSI platform 3 basket and soft parts, 8.75cu ft box at 32Hz. In the back of a 98 k1500. Had the port towards the rear wall. Only had about 4" of space between the port and wall so I did port forward today because it was being choked. I have way more windshield flex and visor flex, key flex and all that. But now, before I could slam the lows. 24-32Hz. Now the lows cause way more voltage drop that before and the highs play better now. Before the highs had big voltage drop. What might be the reason for this? I like lows but just love to see flex. Is it just because I'm getting the full potential of the box now and my electrical just can't keep up on the lows or what? I have a stinger power 2 3000. Don't have the big 3 but I'm doing that next week. Stock alt. Its on a Zues 3200. Would it help to add wood in front of the port facing forward with the lows? Thanks for reading.

What is "bad voltage drop", and where and how are you measuring?

It probably won't help to add just a small loading wall, the reason it was louder before was because it was loading off the rear wall. Facing forward is a little different. Have you tried up firing?

I haven't tried up firing but that would make sub forward. If I can make it fit I'll try it. The original box was port up but it was almost to the roof. Measuring with the voltage gauge in the cluster. Nearly full tilt its drop to 11volts or so. I don't play it at that for long. Just real quick demos

Crowding a port into a wall will make things behave unpredictably. What you have just discovered is that position of sub and port in the vehicle can make a dramatic difference in performance. Getting it "just right" for your preferences demands either a lot of trial and error or finding someone who has already done extensive testing with the same vehicle to give you details of what their testing discovered.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.