Poor Boys Sound Control..

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
Before i started designing the sound system for my E150 the first thing i did was remove ALL of the door panels so i could see how well the doors were insulated, the only thing that separated the door skin from the inside of the van was the thin door panel itself, started thinking about best way to insulate the doors from both temperature and sound then realized several cans of that expanding spray foam would do wonders for both, this spray foam is runny until it cures so stuff some cardboard inside the door to keep the foam from spilling out, i used as much spray foam as i could in each door filling up the entire void in most places and just leaving enough room for the windows to operate and the speaker to fit, the foam is 4 - 5 inches thick in some places and 2 - 3 inches thick in others but none of the 6 door panels vibrate with the music on, it sounds almost as good from the outside as it does from the inside..

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear haters, please be patient as there is so much more to hate me for ..

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Hope you never have to take those panels off ever.
why, do you think the door panels are glued on or something ?

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Id like to know more about your experiment and see pics of what you did?

Perhaps I'm not understanding precisely where this foam went. In for pics.

Rainwater runs into the doors around the gaskets on the windows so if you have sealed up the drains in the bottom of your doors you will have a lot of problems in the future. Those problems will include humidity that will damage your speakers and make the windows hard to roll up and down as well as just generally promoting rust.

If you didn't seal those holes then no problem. Although, I'm not sure how good your midbass response will be by eliminating most of the cabinet the speakers are in.

I'd really like to see some pictures if you have them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.