Polk MM upgrade?

devast8r3436
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys just about got my stereo setup done but I'm hearing alot of people saying that my Polk MM front and rears are just ok. They sound great to me but if I can get better then I'd love some recommendations for something that sounds better. I'm pushing them with a Cadence ZRS C9 at 125watts each. My fronts are 5 1/4 components and the rear are 6x9 with external crossover. Thanks for any input.

YOU need to go out and listen to various speakers and determine if they sound better to you. You already said you like the Polks, so I see no reason to change...

Hey guys just about got my stereo setup done but I'm hearing alot of people saying that my Polk MM front and rears are just ok. They sound great to me but if I can get better then I'd love some recommendations for something that sounds better. I'm pushing them with a Cadence ZRS C9 at 125watts each. My fronts are 5 1/4 components and the rear are 6x9 with external crossover. Thanks for any input.
Stop listening to "people" if your happy with the polks just be happy, to a lot of people what ever there running is the best because they are running it and what everybody else is listening to is junk ,because in mobile electronics everyone is an expert

I've done installs with both the hsks and the MM there both good sounding driver's

If you are not using time alignment and more advanced equalizer yet, I would suggest to invest into a good sound DSP first. If you can install a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, that would be a relatively cheap upgrade. Hook up the front tweeters and woofers in active mode, change the head unit into network mode, and run the Auto EQ sequence. This should clear up the imaging, midrange, and highs considerably. If you already have a compatible Alpine head unit, then perhaps add the Alpine imprint processor which should accomplish the same.

Polk mm's are high performance speakers not reference speakers. the difference is that polk mm's will sound better at loud volumes while those others will begin to sound harsh. People that are into straight sound quality may not appreciate them as much because they are not as accurate. Where polks shine is strong midrange, good midbass and a laid back tweeter.

Polk mm's are high performance speakers not reference speakers. the difference is that polk mm's will sound better at loud volumes while those others will begin to sound harsh. People that are into straight sound quality may not appreciate them as much because they are not as accurate. Where polks shine is strong midrange, good midbass and a laid back tweeter.
I have heard the opposite. Mid-range is laid back/weak, while the tweeter is too bright. In any case, car's interior can color sound more than anything. For example, simply putting the woofers in the stock locations off axis (e.g. doors), will result in a serious dip above 2.5KHz if the woofer is intended to play audibly in that range. Reflections will color the sound in various ways. That's why getting a DSP is the first step to get a sound system sound right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.