polk mm 15" s rubbish. looking for an upgrade! or A noob says Hello!

Kadori
10+ year member

Hello there! im kadori, im new here, only been doing this car audio stuff about a year and a half and well.. it shows so if you would help me out i would much appreciate it!

Right so 2 weeks ago i got some brand new Polk audio 15" s poped em in a sealed box and i am severely disappointed in their performance. they are already bottoming out (over excursing) at 350w and still arent giving me the volume i would like. my old system hit Waaaaaaaaay harder (kenwood kac 9105D [kicker comp 15" and kenwood Kcf-W2513PS] kenwood i dont remember 300rms at 2ohms [2 12" kicker comps ported box] 127.3 dB in the trunk of an 02 accord

Anyhoo.. I am considering resellig them and getting new subs.. again.. sigh..

i was thinking 2 Skar IVX 15 D2 or 2 sundown E-15 but i dont know! im not dead set on 15's, though i dont really want to spend more than 150 a woofer

I don't think you can judge its worth by comparing how hard it hits compared to two 12 inch kickers in a ported box. Polk MM are considered to be more of an all around SQ subwoofer with "lower than normal" mounting depth, but not exactly shallow mount sub. In fact, if you can hear it bottom out, then perhaps the shallower depth is the reason for shorter throw. In any case, if you're into measuring SPL or driving it so hard, these are not the subs to have.

As for comparison with old Kickers... well, I believe that two 12 inch subwoofers already have more cone area than a typical 15. So two sealed 12s could easily sound as loud as one 15 inch sub in sealed box on the same power. If the 12s were in ported boxes, then they should have a clear advantage. A single 12 inch sub in ported box could match a comparable 15 in sealed box.

To tell the truth, 300watts seems kind of weak if you're worried how hard a subwoofer hits. A lot of subwoofers will run fine on this power and blend in well for music like rock, jazz, anything instrumental, pop. For rap.. it may underwhelm.

yea if it's spl your looking for you need around 1200w rms to get anything satisfactory, at least that's been my exp I've been told I was loud with one 12' ported on 800rms but it didn't seem loud to me.

To tell the truth, 300watts seems kind of weak if you're worried how hard a subwoofer hits. A lot of subwoofers will run fine on this power and blend in well for music like rock, jazz, anything instrumental, pop. For rap.. it may underwhelm.
my problem is that they cant take 300w with out bottoming, i got the woofers new, broke em in ~20 hours pop them in a sealed box annd the cant take take the power at 60 percent volume. personally im saying screw that ill get something better. which is why i have come here to seek the help of car audio experts like yourselves, so that i may find some subs more suited to my needs

WTF is "excursing"?!
when i said excursing i ment excursion

hmm well i solved the bottoming problem, all i had to do was re-enforce the box. so they dont bottom anymore unless i reeeeeally push them i have some ports coming in on tuseday, so ill drop em in the final box then that'll be 5ft^3 for them to play with and ill see what that does for the spl

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Kadori

10+ year member
Kadori
Des moines, Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from