Pod VS Door for components, Advantage/Disadvantage?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jchargu3
10+ year member

I have a set of 6.5" Components I want to put in my doors to fill in that mid bass that I lack.. I don't have enough room to do them on the kick plates so I wanted to put them in the doors.

I took the door panels off today to investigate my room required and so on,a nd found that I have PLENTY of room even after I do the modifications to the inner door skin and door panel...

BUT, I also people bring them out and build pods for them...

is there an advantage or disadvantage of both?

What I'm working with

Door Skin thats currently rectangle, I will make it a circle. for the basket/magnet to poke through

IMG_7660.JPG

My door panel, with the lower section is about an inch and a half thick as well.. I have about 3" of room between the outter door skin and the magnet... AND I took the picture with the window all the way down, so I know it will fit

Bottom of doors used to be plastic/Carpet but now are Wooden and Vinyl, so modifying them is no problem

CLIFFS:

My question is, am I ok putting it in the door, or am I better off making a fiberglass pod for it?

and yes I know theres an ugly red wire back there, I was re-wiring my door opening solonoid as well (shaved handles)

why make the speakers stick out with pods if you don't have to?

Wow, you have lots of room there. I would cut out a piece of 3/4" MDF to fit that square indentation and mount the speakers in that.

I would also try to install it in such a way as to decouple it from the door, and decouple the mid from the wood.

You can use silicone to make a gasket when you install the wood. Also, use zip-a-way removable sealant to make a gasket for the mid when you install it... see red devil sealant site to buy.

The main reason people make door pods is to get more mounting depth or for show.

Fiberglass can be molded into pleasing shapes... again, all for show, no go.

Only advantage that a pod might give... if you could angle the drivers toward the listener's heads... but I can't guarantee it would make a worthwhile difference in sound -

- another way to aim the drivers - you might be able to double up on the wood baffle on the door and just rouder it out so the drivers would be tilted up and back... that might be another option.

Agreed with Gary S: probably the best advantages to door pods would be to allow more mounting depth and to cut the angle of the speakers (point the cones more towards you) so that any ill effects of high angle (45+ degrees) off axis response is minimized. Moving a speaker cone from even 50 degrees off axis to 30 degrees off axis can make a significant difference for the better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.