Please Help!

rrolxe

I have a clarion DXZ855MP (i know its really old). I was driving the other day while listening to my ipod connected to the aux in when all of a sudden it sounded like a surge of electricity (one pop sound) and then no sound at all. Everything works on the unit but no sound comes out when i try to play a cd or listen to the radio or ipod. My subwoofer amp is not triggered to turn on either. When i try to play a cd the time advances but the on screen sound analyzer (the bars that move up and down when the music plays) are all flat. It seems like the amp is not accepting any inputs. I also turned off the internal amp to see if the sound analyzer would work but i had no luck. I rewired everything to make sure there was not any wires crossing and that didnt work. I also cut all the wires except the ones necessary to power on the unit to see if i could get the cd player to move the sound analyzer with no luck too.

I guess my question is am i fucked and should i just buy a new head unit? has any one else had any problems like this with their head unit? Sorry for the long post.

sounds like something got shorted from the head unit wiring. How were you're splicings done? if you shorted something bad enough it could have mest up the head unit. You said you rewired it all behind the HU and it turns on and plays the CDs just no music?

They were crimped the first time and when i re wired it, i soldered all the connections. On the head unit, there are 2 power inputs (i think one for the general power and one for the amp). They both have in line fuses and i changed each fuse. However, on the set of pre amp outs/ aux in, the clip to hold the harness in place was broken off so it can move in and out. I honestly think this is what shorted it if its shorted (is that even possible?). And yes, it turns on and plays the cd just no music.

You sound knowledgeable enough to not make any dumb mistakes. I can't think of anything else to check just keep checking connections and messing with it if you can't get it working IDK man maybe the HU is just toast. I've had issues with the RCAs before I tape em up so they don't come out and can't contact anything else, but I don't think it would mess with your music. If the amp trigger isn't working and ur remote wire is attached correctly then the problem is definately coming from you're HU. I can't think of anything helpful except just rechecking all the wiring connections and the harness clips. GL to you and I'm sorry.

Thanks for your help. I actually taped it as soon as i figured out it was loose. I think i may just go ahead and buy a cheap hu. It couldnt have happened at a worse time. Im broke as **** and am about to drive 6 hours. There is a local shop where i live that sells a ****** hu installed for 75 so i think im just going to do that so if the new one is fucked i can take it back to em. This hu has lasted me since 07 so I suppose i got my moneys worth.

Yeah but it sounds like you had a nice one there, sounds like you had 3 preamp outs front,rear, and sub and an aux input. If it had a built in LPF/HPF and custom EQ theres nothing more you need. My Deck is a little older too but its got everything I'll ever need.

Yea it was a sick deck. (may it rest in peace) My buddy gave me an insane deal on it too. I think I bought it for 100 or 150 bucks used and the msrp back then new was 700 bucks. Im going to save up for a double din navigation unit but until then a 75 dollar unit will have to do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.