Playing around with vinyl wrap

Participant count
  • Participant list

shake this
10+ year member

I’ve been playing around with vinyl wrap and decided to try it as an alternative to paint, carpet or the typical vinyl. So let me know what you think. Could it replace the standards or should we leave well enough alone and stick with the common ways to dress up sub boxes?

DSCN0276_zpse0f30303.jpg

DSCN0264_zps85b52a70.jpg

This face is cover in hot rod red vinyl with a brushed aluminum boarder and a carbon fiber speaker ring.

DSCN0259_zps2921aa41.jpg

How well does the vinyl stick to wood (MDF in particular)? Was there any prep work required? I LOVE the idea of using lettering vinyl for wrapping sub enclosures/amp racks. Looks great BTW!

I put down 3 coats of polyurethane because I was worried that it might not stick well to the MDF. However, I think I could have gotten away with just using it on any area that was actually cut. The face of the box would have been fine without any sealer, just a damp rag to pick up any dust. The reason I would still recommend coating any of the cuts is the vinyl picks up any imperfections and would probably show the roughness from the cut. A good sanding might give you the same results but I'm lazy and don't like to sand if I can keep from it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.