Planning ahead (box sizing)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Frraksurred
10+ year member

Ubersomethingerother
IA
Aight, I'm building a sealed box for my 2 12's. They're old and require 1.75' of space for each in a sealed box. I'm planning to update subs eventually and go to a ported enclosure. I've noticed a lot of today's subs "recommend" 1.75' for a ported application. My question is; if I build a sealed box now (each chamber with 1.75'), can I port the box when I install the newer subs later?

In other words, if I buy 2 12's that need 1.75' of space each for a ported enclosure, and I build a sealed enclosure with 1.75' of space for each sub now... can I port the box with the appropriate sized tube then?

Also, when the manufacturer "recommends" a size for their sub, are they already taking into account the space the sub itself will take up?

Just curious. This will be the first box I have built on my own and I hate wasting money. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for your help guys. God bless each of you.

I am sure you could turn a sealed box into ported later on, no problem. Just take into consideration where you want your ports later on when you cut holes for the subs. I don't think that the sub manufacturer takes into consideration the sub displacement when they tell you the recommended cubic feet. Hope that helps some. Good luck with your box.

Originally posted by Frraksurred Aight, I'm building a sealed box for my 2 12's. They're old and require 1.75' of space for each in a sealed box. I'm planning to update subs eventually and go to a ported enclosure. I've noticed a lot of today's subs "recommend" 1.75' for a ported application. My question is; if I build a sealed box now (each chamber with 1.75'), can I port the box when I install the newer subs later?

In other words, if I buy 2 12's that need 1.75' of space each for a ported enclosure, and I build a sealed enclosure with 1.75' of space for each sub now... can I port the box with the appropriate sized tube then?

Also, when the manufacturer "recommends" a size for their sub, are they already taking into account the space the sub itself will take up?

Just curious. This will be the first box I have built on my own and I hate wasting money. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for your help guys. God bless each of you.

Yeah man. Ports can be added later with just a little more work if you have the room. Just remember when you do port it. To account for the displacement of the port as well.

Some sub manufacturers do, some don't. I usually check out the website for more info if I can. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.