Planning a system, big 3 done, will I still need a bigger/another alt?

ds0110
10+ year member

TX
My silverado has a 105amp alt. My battery is an oreily super start exteme (rebadged deka) 955ca, 775cca, 120 RC. No additional batteries. The big 3 I did was in 0ga knu ofc, and actually there are 7 runs instead of 3. (- to block, - to chassis, -to frame, + to fuse box, + to alt, block to firewall, and I ran a bolt through the floor of the truck where I grounded my amp with 4ga wire then underneath the truck ran 0ga from that bolt to the frame) I think ive done everything I can possibly do without adding another alternator, replacing the one I have, or buying another battery.

The max draw of my system is 140 amps. The front stage amp (A/B amp 75x2@4ohms) fuse is 40, the bass amp (class H 750w@4ohms) fuse is 4x25. I didnt plan it this way, when i looked online at the specs the bass amp was only supposed to have 60amp draw total, but when i get the amp it has 4x25 (100amp) fuse. Everything is running at 4 ohms. At max draw 140amps @ 900w @ 4ohms total.

Is it likely ill need a new or another alternator?

it wont draw that much you should be fine, if anything goes wrong try to upgrade your main battery first and then add a second battery. also very good on the thorough job you did with the big 3, you went up and beyond on everything!

You can get a 145 amp large case GM AD244 alt used on ebay for around $50-75. You want the 2003-2005 KG3 RPO code alts. You will like the extra 40 amps of current.

Alternator for A 03 04 Tahoe 145 Amp Opt KG3 | eBay

Your stock belt and tensioner may have enough slack, if not you just purchase a slightly longer belt.

I was running 2 of these with 4 deka batteries on 4 bb2400s and never dropping below 12 volts.

there's no way that system will draw 140 amps.

I'm guessing, with the aid of a wattage calculator, that the system on full volume will draw around 70A, give or take 10A, if a continuous sine wave was played. Given that music is dynamic, it is doubtful that around 70A will be drawn more than a second or two during the course of a song.

A system like that should NOT need a HO alternator, based on what I've learned so far on this forum.......

Running less than 1000 watts, you should be fine. If you have a voltage issue, the gain is either too high, or you have a wiring issue somewhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.