Planet Audio BB4000.1 and BB 1200.4 Guts

Hey all, I got these in today for some experimentation. I'll be putting them in my build log on this forum. If they turn out either terrible or excellent, I'll post an amp review on both. Below are pics of both amps. A few notes - both are quite heavy for their size, they are far smaller than I expected, they look great, the 1200.4 has (2) 25A fuses, the 4000.1 has 0 Awg inputs, the 1200.4 has 4 Awg inputs, and all external connections are very sturdy. They appear to have decent quality build, we shall see about the performance - I'll let you be the judge of the internals.

External comparison

Size_zps760c43a6.jpg

BB1200.4 Guts

BB12004_zpsc4a52779.jpg

BB4000.1 Guts

BB40001_zps5dfe63e9.jpg

Hey all, I got these in today for some experimentation. I'll be putting them in my build log on this forum. If they turn out either terrible or excellent, I'll post an amp review on both. Below are pics of both amps. A few notes - both are quite heavy for their size, they are far smaller than I expected, they look great, the 1200.4 has (2) 25A fuses, the 4000.1 has 0 Awg inputs, the 1200.4 has 4 Awg inputs, and all external connections are very sturdy. They appear to have decent quality build, we shall see about the performance - I'll let you be the judge of the internals.
External comparison

Size_zps760c43a6.jpg

BB1200.4 Guts

BB12004_zpsc4a52779.jpg

BB4000.1 Guts

BB40001_zps5dfe63e9.jpg
in for info.... ive been curious about these. The older long black BB2400s were beasts

in for info.... ive been curious about these. The older long black BB2400s were beasts
Ya, man. I couldn't agree more with your BB2400 statement, I had the BB1400 - there is no doubt that thing did rated power. These are technically the BB3 series, and the Big Bang series most remember are the long BB2 series. Interestingly enough, there was no birth sheet with either of these amps, but I have some power hungry speakers to test.

Do I anticipate the BB1200.4 doing the rated 200x4 @ 4 Ohms? No, but for the $100 I paid for this 125X4 would be solid below 1% distortion.

Do I anticipate the BB4000.1 doing the rated 1500 watts X 1 @ 4 ohms? I have no idea, but I will test it on a FI BL at both 4 and 1 ohms to see where this thing stands. If this amp is even reminiscent of the old BB series, I expect for somewhere around 2500 watts at 1 Ohm - we'll see how if the Big Bang line lives up the the old name. Keep in mind, I only paid $350 for both of these amps!

Ya, man. I couldn't agree more with your BB2400 statement, I had the BB1400 - there is no doubt that thing did rated power. These are technically the BB3 series, and the Big Bang series most remember are the long BB2 series. Interestingly enough, there was no birth sheet with either of these amps, but I have some power hungry speakers to test.
Do I anticipate the BB1200.4 doing the rated 200x4 @ 4 Ohms? No, but for the $100 I paid for this 125X4 would be solid below 1% distortion.

Do I anticipate the BB4000.1 doing the rated 1500 watts X 1 @ 4 ohms? I have no idea, but I will test it on a FI BL at both 4 and 1 ohms to see where this thing stands. If this amp is even reminiscent of the old BB series, I expect for somewhere around 2500 watts at 1 Ohm - we'll see how if the Big Bang line lives up the the old name. Keep in mind, I only paid $350 for both of these amps!
honestly the guts on the BB4000 look pretty good. Really similar to the amount of components to the BB2400. I would say atleast 2000rms @ 1ohm, which is still not bad for the money. The Long Black BB2400.1 was rated for 2400ms at 1 ohm but actually put out alittle less. They were benched tested to do about 1900-2200 rms @ 1ohm which is still good for the money. So im going to say the BB4000 will probably do about 2000-2200 @ 1ohm

Hey guys, I installed the amps today. Here is a quick summary.

BB1200.4

For the tiny size of this amp, the output is exceptional. Currently, I am running BBPRO6.5's up front (rated at 150 Watts/side) and some BB650 coaxals in the rear (80 RMS/side). The sound is clear even at 3/4 volume (excruciatingly loud) and the amp's crossovers work without a hitch. I do not think it does the rated 200x4@4 Ohms RMS as advertised, but I think somewhere around 130X4@4 ohms would be accurate - it has no issues pushing the BBPRO's. It does get a touch warm after about an hour or so of playing, but my ventilation isn't great in that console. Very comparable to the old BB150X4's.

BB4000.1

This thing is a beast, it is pushing a Fi BL 12 very well at 4 ohms, at about 3/4 volume the BL is moving very substantially (~80%) at a gain of about 1/4. I think the amp is slightly below 1500 watts at 4 ohms (perhaps 1300). I have not tested it yet at 1 ohm, I will do so soon - I really don't want to blow a new BL! It does get warm after about an hour of continuous playing, however I thing I could provide better ventilation behind the rear seat. I think this amp can so a solid 2000+ @ 1 ohm without sweating it.

All in all, I am very pleased. I think these Planet Audio amps are very similar to the old BB amps (the BB2's, black and long //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ), I think they can do roughly the same amount of power - if not more at lower impedance. They are substantially smaller, however, I see that as an advantage. For the $350 I spent for both amps, I could not have asked for more, easily one of the best purchases I've ever made in car audio.

Thanks men, i got the bb2500.1 for $125 shipped today on ebay so this are good news for me, i gonna give a shoot and see how it goes with 4 skar vd 8d2 subs
Cool, let me know how it goes! I am about a week into listening to the system, I ended up switching to 1 ohm with the BB4000.1 and turning the gain way down. I am very pleased with the BB4000.1 and Fi BL combo, I exceeded my expectations. I am very curious to see how the smaller BB amp preforms with your sub combo, my guess is that you'd be giving all four of those subs around 1400 watts @ 1 ohm with the smaller BB amp.

You really have no idea?

You really have no idea?
Well, I knew the BB2 amps did just below the rated power so I didn't think the BB3 amps would be too far off (tried to maintain an objective opinion before testing). As it turns out, I wasn't too far off - I would say it does around 1200-1300 @ 4 ohms. As I said before, I really don't think the BB3 amps are far off from the BB2 amps...

Well, I knew the BB2 amps did just below the rated power so I didn't think the BB3 amps would be too far off (tried to maintain an objective opinion before testing). As it turns out, I wasn't too far off - I would say it does around 1200-1300 @ 4 ohms. As I said before, I really don't think the BB3 amps are far off from the BB2 amps...
You do know that 4ohm rating is a MAX rating right? I take it you havent heard to many real setups. You will be very lucky to see 500 watts at 4ohm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.