Pioneer TS-C720PRS

blacksatsc2
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Detroit
I'm considering picking these up. I have read nothing but good reviews but I'm curious about one thing. Their only "rated" at 50 watts RMS. Now I have heard that "ratings" are usually very inaccurate and many people tend to run 2 and r times the rated power and have no problems. I have a JL A4300 4 channel amp which is rated at 70x4 or 220x2 bridged. Should I run them at the 70x4? Or should I bridge the amp and run the 220x2 even though their "rated" at 50 Rms. Help me out please. Anyone who owns these speakers please tell me what you think. And I have a 2002 Saturn SC2. Will these fit?

They can handle up to 200 watt peaks. Set the gain on your amp to give a max of 200 watts, and that will be perfect.

Then, when you are running at full volume, the peaks in the music will hit that 200 watt mark, but the average output power will be much lower, probably lower than the 50 watts RMS they are rated for. Most music produced has a crest factor between 4 and 10, which means the peaks are between 4 and 10 times the average (RMS) power.

Hope this helps!

-- Kevin

I'm running 300 a side, I wouldn't suggest this for long periods of time, as they do tend to get a little smelly. I would say they do very well with 200-250 watts a side. Any more questions, just ask.

Good luck,

Larson

They can handle up to 200 watt peaks. Set the gain on your amp to give a max of 200 watts, and that will be perfect.
Then, when you are running at full volume, the peaks in the music will hit that 200 watt mark, but the average output power will be much lower, probably lower than the 50 watts RMS they are rated for. Most music produced has a crest factor between 4 and 10, which means the peaks are between 4 and 10 times the average (RMS) power.

Hope this helps!

-- Kevin
what the fuck are you talking about.

you're saying they're rated for 50 rms, so give them 200.. w/nothing supporting that they'll handle it?

Nothing supporting they'll handle it? The specs say they will. Do you not know the difference between average power and peak power? How do you have over 4600 posts on here and not know the difference? Do you spend all your time in the general forum posting about who's make-believe girlfriend is hotter?

I'm running 300 a side, I wouldn't suggest this for long periods of time, as they do tend to get a little smelly. I would say they do very well with 200-250 watts a side. Any more questions, just ask.Good luck,

Larson
Alright sounds good, I plan on bridgeing my amp than for 225x2. They should scream beautifully, what amp are you running?

Alright sounds good, I plan on bridgeing my amp than for 225x2. They should scream beautifully, what amp are you running?
I'm running a JBL Px300.4 bridged. Gain set for 300 watts at 4 ohms (rated for 358 4 ohms). They seem to scream. Just watch out for the tweeter, as it tends to be a bit harsh to some people (which can be fixed with tweeter placement).

Larson

Edit: Are your doors deadened?

I'm running a JBL Px300.4 bridged. Gain set for 300 watts at 4 ohms (rated for 358 4 ohms). They seem to scream. Just watch out for the tweeter, as it tends to be a bit harsh to some people (which can be fixed with tweeter placement).Larson

Edit: Are your doors deadened?
Currently my doors are not deadened

I would suggest deadening in the future (sounds like you are planning on it), but I'd suggest at least sealing the holes in the doors with some sheet metal, wood, or plastic when you get the speakers.

Larson

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.