Pioneer - Problem Upgrading Firmware

Participant count
  • Participant list

SubaruGuy

CarAudio.com Newbie
I would appreciate some help...

I have been using a Pioneer avh-z5150bt for about 2 years for Android Auto with a Samsung Note 8 phone. It seems very picky about USB cables, but has gone through periods where for weeks, no matter what the cable, it just will not fire up Android Auto when connected. Instead jumps into AppRadio mode which seems pretty useless. This also implies that it is connecting and may exclude the cable from blame.

It has been stuck in AppRadio mode again for weeks. I have
- tried various cables, including some high quality cables and a brand new (and totally over priced Samsung high data / high power cable)
- cleaned the Note 8 usb port with spirits
- hard reset the unit via the recessed reset button on the front of the unit
- cussed at it

Pioneer provide no support in SA, they only provide a disinterested "official reseller". An independent installer advised that I try upgrading firmware, which I am attempting via USB.

Have tried a few configurations on the USB flash drive. The instructions refer to a file (presumably the .avh inside a provided zip file) and the instructions state that it should be the only file on the drive. Did that, and also tried with the zip file on the drive, the .avh file in a folder, or just the file. The unit seems to see the file when it is just the file alone and proceeds to the warning screen, but complains that it cannot find the file the otherwise and does not reach the warning screen.

Hence, I know that the unit is seeing the file.

However, it does not seem to start copying over the file, instead the unit freezes up / hangs. This happens as soon as I accept the warnings about not interrupting the process. I have left it for up to 1/2 an hour to see if it will recover, it does not.

Immediately after turning the ignition off and back on, the unit remains frozen and cannot be restarted, but after a few minutes with the ignition off it can be restarted and works fine. Well, except the firmware version has not changed and there is no still only AppRadio mode and not Android Auto. I think the unit cannot be bricked with these attempts because it has not even started copying the file, let alone installing it.

Am I missing a trick...? Any help will be appreciated...

You can try using a different program to unzip the file on your computer. Some programs don’t seem to unzip pioneer files correctly.

After struggling and eventually finding your post I thought I would reply. I have the same model and spent hours trying to update. I did 3 things at the same time but not sure which one worked.

• I used a usb 2.0 drive (probably not the fix)
  • I formatted the drive to MBR. I think most ne flash drives are GPT. You can google minitool partition wizard to do the conversion. (I think this is the fix)
  • I also unzipped using 7 zip instead of windows explorer (Also probably not the fix)
One of these 3 things allowed me to do the update from 18.03 to 18.04 but this did not solve the android auto problem on my Note 10. I’m also only seeing radio app. It stopped working about a week ago on a different Samsung phone also. I think android auto or the radio app needs to be updated on the Pioneer

FML. On the home screen after you press the "windows button" Bottom left there is an icon that says smart phone. Make sure it's on android auto and not app radio. If it is greyd out check phone settings to make sure it will allow the radio to transfer data from your phone. Mine is back up now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...