Pioneer 880prs and 800prs dial knobs

cichlid_baby
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Since I don't have anywhere to demo these units.. I need to ask those of you who have one of these head units..

How are the knobs?

Are they too small?

Are they fixed position or joystick like?

Do they have a rubber ring for grip like some of the Alpine knobs?

Wish I had a Pioneer dealer around here that carried this unit instead of just the mainstream el cheapo units.

Good

Not for my hands and I have very large hands

1 is and the other is directional

Nope no rubber at least on mine

Just use the remote problem solved //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

^^^Correct. The left knob is the volume knob/source selector. It only turns and presses in. The right knob is a 7 way knob. It goes up, down, left, right, presses in, and obviously turns in either direction. This knob is used for almost everything else with the HU. As stated above, there is no rubber ring around the knob on either the 880 or the 800. The knobs are no smaller than older Alpine knobs. I've noticed on some of the newer Alpines the knobs are a little bigger. The remote gives you a lot more control over the HU. I'd recommend keeping it handy, but it's not necessary. I hardly ever touch my remote.

^^^Correct. The left knob is the volume knob/source selector. It only turns and presses in. The right knob is a 7 way knob. It goes up, down, left, right, presses in, and obviously turns in either direction. This knob is used for almost everything else with the HU. As stated above, there is no rubber ring around the knob on either the 880 or the 800. The knobs are no smaller than older Alpine knobs. I've noticed on some of the newer Alpines the knobs are a little bigger. The remote gives you a lot more control over the HU. I'd recommend keeping it handy, but it's not necessary. I hardly ever touch my remote.

x2 to all of this, I find myself using the remote much more commonly than the face knobs themselves, as I did with my old 6000UB. Nice unit though.

X2. The remote is the best thing since sliced bread for that head unit. On mine's I never use the knobs. Just don't lose that remote.

Best head unit out there.

Left stick is stationary, right stick is joystick type.

Left stick is a big improvement from most Pioneer units, volume goes up & down MUCH faster.

Not too small, no rubber.

AMAZING units if you're looking to run active.

Are any of you guys using these units with the USB interface module?

How do you like it?

How is the navigation through folders? easy? slow? does it act like a CD changer?

Does the remote control the USB functions too?

The module seems very big and bulky, where do you guys mount it? Seems it would be a pain to mount since I don't want to give up the glove box for it.

Are any of you guys using these units with the USB interface module?
How do you like it?

How is the navigation through folders? easy? slow? does it act like a CD changer?

Does the remote control the USB functions too?

The module seems very big and bulky, where do you guys mount it? Seems it would be a pain to mount since I don't want to give up the glove box for it.
I don't have the USB module with mine, but to answer at least one of your questions, you will be able to control it with the remote. I had the iPod adapter, but navigation was slow and cumbersome. I'm using an eBay adapter that will let me control my iPod from the iPod. It's even got a 12V to 5V converter so it'll charge my iPod touch. The only problem with that is the charging introduces a lot of noise so I had to disconnect that. I'd assume the USB adapter and the iPod adapter are rather similar in size. If you've ever owned any adapters like these, they're all about the same size, at leas the ones I've owned. That's just an assumption and you know what happens when we assume... Oh, one more question answered: I had my adapters all installed under the dash. The old Alpine KCA-420i was under the driver's side dash, ziptied way up there. The Pioneer iPod adapter CD-IB100II was on the passenger's side, resting atop the plastic piece that protects the wiring and such under the dash. That was foam padded so it didn't rattle or anything. You can run the cable to almost anywhere. I hope that somewhat helped.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.