pioneer 80 prs or a Sound processor? head unit recommendations? sound solutions?

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
my head unit's not putting out very good signal strength and sound quality(to my ears), right now its the weakest link in my system, its time for an upgrade in the near future.

current head unit is a pioneer DEH 4200UB it looks good on paper but actual pre-out voltage is actually 2 volts or less... Only thing i like about this head unit is the USB port and its better sounding than those 99 dollar amazon head units, but still, its the main thing that causes clipping in my system which is really limiting my clean power output. Tested it out with every possible setting and it either makes the system hit really weak or gives a dirty sine wave.

Would an 80 prs (or any good head unit you guys would recommend that has usb inputs and plays some form of lossless) be in order? or should i save up for a digital sound processor?

A processor can only do so much. You still need a clean signal to feed it.

Unless you're going balls to the wall 4 way active, get the 80 and call it a day. or Clarion cz702. That thing is a sweet little unit for 150 bucks.

thats what I thought too, its just a lot of people push the sound processors like mad and make it sound like its a miracle worker.
In some case sound processors is the way to go, for example my truck has a Pioneer DVD 4300. I know I need a better HU, but a single dinn won't look good. So in my case a bit one, RF360.3 is the way to go.

I would start with the prs or cz702, work on your tuning and install, then go from there.

Just install modifications, along with those unit's tuning capabilities, can get you a long way.

The prs clips at either 60-61/62 head unit volume, can't remember which, so with that unit, you can go up without worrying about clipping.

What amps are you using?

Most Pioneer decks in good working order have a decent full bandwidth output on the pre-amps.

Higher preamp output would be best but a good line driver could also work wonders.

What amps are you using?Most Pioneer decks in good working order have a decent full bandwidth output on the pre-amps.

Higher preamp output would be best but a good line driver could also work wonders.
i already listed what i'm currently using in my first post and line drivers are... yuck! Well the only concern is that low quality ones can introduce more problems with distortion and clipping and such so that they aren't always worth it and a higher quality audio control or rockford line driver would cost half of a quality head unit. Deck has volume up to 62 but clips at 35 and the sound quality is okay but i know it can be a lot better... i heard a lot better setups and the only thing different was a quality head unit. Doors totally deadened full on 14+ voltages, adequate speaker power, everything tuned right on the amp and head unit, just need better head unit internals. Well i ordered it already so its on the way.

In some case sound processors is the way to go, for example my truck has a Pioneer DVD 4300. I know I need a better HU, but a single dinn won't look good. So in my case a bit one, RF360.3 is the way to go.
single di9n may not look good but i love that little pocket it gives you!!! lol i throw remotes, ipod usbs and everything in that little pocket..... so useful!!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.