how much effect does a head unit have on sound quality?

blakgtp
10+ year member

WA
I'm going to put a system in my honda accord. I've had a few systems in the past so I'm not a total noob to car audio. One thing I want in this car though that I haven't had before is a double din touchscreen head unit. My last car had a clarion cz702 which is known as a decent sq head unit. But say I was to buy a head unit like this one: Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD 6.1" Touchscreen DVD/USB/MP3 Car Receiver

apart from having much less eq options and not having the option to run active setups (unless i get a processor) would there be a noticeable different in sound quality between the two head units? I'm not a super picky sound quality guy, more of a sql guy, but I still would be hesitant to buy the double din if there will be a great loss in sound quality. What do you guys think?

-Also on a side note, I wont be using super high end speakers or amps. Most likely I'll have a $200 pair of components for front stage, and a $200 4 channel amp with about 100 watts per channel.

thanks in advance!

a whole helll of alllottt!!!! but that pioneer is still decent, you probably won't notice... you'll just hate the fact when you go and try to use a feature and its not there.... make sure you got decent preout though... just incase you do ever decide to upgrade speaker/sub setup...

There's nothing wrong with 2 volt preamp outputs. I can't think of an amplifier I've ever experienced that couldn't be driven to its maximum output on that voltage.

As for sound quality, an inexpensive unit with a tv screen isn't going to have a lot to offer in that department. It's a simple economic equation... to get a tv screen in a cheap head unit, something else must be left out in order for the manufacturer to still profit on the sale.

There's nothing wrong with 2 volt preamp outputs. I can't think of an amplifier I've ever experienced that couldn't be driven to its maximum output on that voltage.
As for sound quality, an inexpensive unit with a tv screen isn't going to have a lot to offer in that department. It's a simple economic equation... to get a tv screen in a cheap head unit, something else must be left out in order for the manufacturer to still profit on the sale.
Yes 2v preout can drive an amp to its fullest but since the 2v outouts are so weak its hard to pick up the nuances and shadow sounds that are often quiet in the background.

older units had better preout devices that allowed for these nuances at such low preout voltage.

op for sq I dont suggest that unit mainly for lack of eq and time alignment.

it is on the other hand a decent screen and basic unit.

guys, I ended up ordering this head unit, and now I've read all your post (I know too impatient).

JVC KW-AV61 6.1" Touchscreen DVD/MP3/USB iPod/iPhone Car Receiver

Do you think it will get the job done, or should I order a better one and just try to sell this one once it get it?

edit- keep in mind I don't care about features: bluetooth, running active setups, pandora etc.., I'm just concerned about signal and floor noise/quality of sound produced. If it's not a big difference in sound quality then I would definitely like to save a few hundred bucks compared to the high end units. If it will greatly hinder the sound replication though, I'd like to avoid that

Yes 2v preout can drive an amp to its fullest but since the 2v outouts are so weak its hard to pick up the nuances and shadow sounds that are often quiet in the background.
older units had better preout devices that allowed for these nuances at such low preout voltage..
thank you.

SQ starts with source. A car is a horrible environment for audio. It's difficult setting up a four-walled room for optimum sound quality. Placement of drivers in the car is crucial and tedious. There's lots of absorption and lots of reflection.

I've never had a problem with a Kenwood amp over the last 10 years. They have been extremely reliable. I would go w/Kenwood amp over Kicker any day. I drive ADS comps and Kicker 8" subs with Kenwood amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only real difference in lower pre outs is the fact that you need more input gain on amplifiers to match source which raises the noise floor. Other talk is just talk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.