PIONEER 6700DVD Head Unit / Turn on lead

Participant count
  • Participant list

erikcn

NYC
Just purchased this unit to replace an old Pioneer DVD hu. Very disappointed to discover that the remote turn on lead is not activated by the actual head unit but is activted through the ignition. I want my amps and accessories to turn OFF with the unit and with out adding a cheesey toggle switch. Does anyone have any idea how I can do this? I spoke to Pioneer and of course no solution. PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

What is the point of even having a turn on lead? You can just use the red wire from the factory harness that is powered up through the ignition. Pioneer could have had two different turn on leads....one conventional and one powered through the ignition. Is it possible to some how get inside the unit and rewire the turn on lead to work the right way??

What is the point of even having a turn on lead? You can just use the red wire from the factory harness that is powered up through the ignition. Pioneer could have had two different turn on leads....one conventional and one powered through the ignition. Is it possible to some how get inside the unit and rewire the turn on lead to work the right way??
Wha? The red is for acc power/ignition, yellow is constant hot, blue and/or blue white is remote turn on wire. Where the confusion?

there is no confusion my friend. The blue/white wire does not turn the amps off when you turn the head unit off. So if you are driving the car and turn the head unit off the amps stay on because the remote turn on is controlled by the ignition on the newer Pioneer units

there is no confusion my friend. The blue/white wire does not turn the amps off when you turn the head unit off. So if you are driving the car and turn the head unit off the amps stay on because the remote turn on is controlled by the ignition on the newer Pioneer units
Pic of the harness? That blue/white is for power antenna, remote operation. If it's not turning off when you turn the Hu off you have a faulty unit or something isnt wired right.

I appreciate the responses but there is nothing wrong with the unit. It even specifies in the manual that the remote turn on lead / blue/white wire is controlled through the ignition source, not the head unit. I called Pioneer and they said they make it this way for blue tooth applications. I want to know how I can go about changing this to the normal way. I dont want my amps on when the head unit is off and I dont want to use a 1980s cheesy rocker switch.

are you trying to say that the remote turn on mechanism in these new headunits is controlled by the ignition switch, and is only hot when the ignition is hot - NOT when the headunit is on/off?

the only thing i could think of is to modify the circuit by rewiring the remote out to the 12v input that is only hot when the hu is on. i.e. the non constant 12v in, because the amps will turn on with any voltage as long as its within a volt of 12v

Pioneers explanation makes no sense at all. Why would you have 3 sets of preouts to specifically run external amps and have no way to control them? Smh

Try using the power antenna wire instead. This should produce power and cut it off when the headunit is off.

Or put a switch.

Any other way would force the amps to turn on and off with the ignition switch.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

[quote name='erikcn']Yes Mitchell0715 you got it! Very disappointing!!! How difficult do you think it would be to rewire the turn on lead?[/QUOTE]
@mitchell0715 ; Would like to know this myself. I've installed dozens of Pioneers and never seen anything like this.

[quote name='erikcn']Yes Mitchell0715 you got it! Very disappointing!!! How difficult do you think it would be to rewire the turn on lead?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, I do not mess with the internals of amps and headunits - I'm nowhere near that level yet. I can understand circuits better than the average person but when it comes to modifying things on that level I'd be lost lol.
@keep_hope_alive has done modifications on this level before and may be able to provide some insight.

stang, honestly I haven't seen this before either. my opinion is not really fair though because I haven't used a lot of headunits before, so I'm pretty far from well experienced. I'm able to pretty much understand what's going on though, and it sounds like a pretty dumb design.

To further explain what I meant earlier about rewiring the remote turn on wire.. basically you need to tap into the 12v power that is only hot when the headunit is on and use that as your remote turn on. It works because amps will turn on with any 12v source, we just need that source to only be on when the headunit is literally powered on (NOT a constant 12v source). However, you need to understand complications may occur if the bus you tap into in the HU has components that are sensitive to any other current draw besides what it was designed for - i.e. your external amps. It may also be unfused, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a small fuse on the line out you use for rem turn on.

With that said, op you need to open the Hu and with a dmm start testing the internals to find a +12v source that switches on when the Hu is powered up. This is achievable. Stupid, but possible. Let us know how it ends up man.......

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.