Phoenix Gold rSD Comp Owners

mapolley07
10+ year member

its all imaginary
I will likely be buying a set of these comps in a couple weeks to replace the garbage audiobahns i have now.

I will be buying the 5.25" size and will mount the mid in the door and the tweeter most likely in the base of the A-pillar.

They will be powered by a Profile AP1040 rated at 80watts rms, but from what I gather it is more like 70 watts or so.

I like sharp, crisp highs but not harsh and strong mids.

So what can I expect from these speakers. Anyone who owns PG rSD comps please let me know what you think of them, tips for installation, etc. I would appreciate as much help as possible.

Thanks,

Matthew

First thing I'll say is if you can fit the 6.5" mid in your doors, do it.

Second, bridge that amp if you can and run them off that. Just be conservative with the amp gains.

6.5" speakers will not fit in any way shape or form, and kickpanels are not an option either. so pretty much I am stuck with 5.25"

I am running PG Octane 6x9s as rear fill off of the other two channels so bridging isn't really an option either. I don't want to lose my rear fill or run it off of the HU. anyway 70-80 watts RMS gets plenty loud for me.......enough for my ears to hurt with guitar solos.

Can anyone let me know kind of what the rSD comps sound like or how they perform? Are the mids okay off-axis?

so basically you had it set up as a coaxial setup?

I don't think I am going to go that route.....I will mount the tweet separate from the mid, just not exactly sure where.

So are the highs crisp and sharp in the rSD set? I listen to a lot of rock music with high guitar solos and I like them to be sharp and crisp, but not harsh.

so basically you had it set up as a coaxial setup?
I don't think I am going to go that route.....I will mount the tweet separate from the mid, just not exactly sure where.

So are the highs crisp and sharp in the rSD set? I listen to a lot of rock music with high guitar solos and I like them to be sharp and crisp, but not harsh.
I think you'll be satisfied with the RSDs. I know they impressed me. If you have any type of EQ they will be easily tamed. In my car a slight decrease in the 200-300k range cleared them up a great deal.

thank you for the info. No, I don't have an EQ and wasn't planning on buying one. So is the 200-300hz range just a bit peaky or is it really bad? I was hoping for these comps to be the last purchase for this system. I really need to save up money for books and stuff for school, and can hardly stand to put any more money into this thing.

I have an Eclipse CD3000, so it is nice, but it is only a 3-way EQ. I have controls for bass, mid and treble, but no controls over specific frequencies like I would with a Graphical EQ.

you think i can even out the sound pretty well with just a 3-band EQ?

btw thanks for the help

Well I put the order through this morning. $129 shipped from Onlinecarstereo.com. After buying a warrantee and paying S/H fees, Ebay would have been something like $120. Figured with that small of a difference I might as well buy from an authorized dealer.

Only thing I still have to figure out is where to mount the tweeters. I can flush mount them in the corner of the factory grilles in the doors or surface mount them in the A-pillars. any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the input and help,

Matthew

Well I put the order through this morning. $129 shipped from Onlinecarstereo.com. After buying a warrantee and paying S/H fees, Ebay would have been something like $120. Figured with that small of a difference I might as well buy from an authorized dealer.
Only thing I still have to figure out is where to mount the tweeters. I can flush mount them in the corner of the factory grilles in the doors or surface mount them in the A-pillars. any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the input and help,

Matthew
i dont think onlinecarstereo is an authorized dealer lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.