pg tantrum 1200.1 not performing?

magic_wizard
10+ year member

Atlanta
I have 2 12" magnums powered by a pg tantrum 1200.1 and sealed in a 2cf box with a divider. When I set the gains to about halfway and raise the volume on my pioneer 8500 to like 45 out of 62, the subs barely move on some songs. The bass boost is at 0 (lowest setting) and the sub vol on hu is at 0 (right in the middle). What could be wrong here. I have a yellow top, but will add a 180 amp alternator and big 3 wiring in a few days. For now, the wiring is stock and the alternator is stock 70 amps. Could the electrical system just not be powering it enough? I would think that at that volume and with those gains, the subs should be moving. I mean, on some songs they do, but still it's not that loud. I played some eminem, and the bass was loud, but I had to raise the volume pretty high. But even at 45 vol, the subs were barely moving when I played Pink Floyd's Money. I don't know what's going on. The guy who installed the amp and subs had the gains all the way up and the volume pretty high. WTF? It didn't sound like it was distorting. I mean, he works for tweeter, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He would have lowered them had he noticed distortion. I'm guessing the preouts from my pioneer are really not 4v even though they are supposed to be. Anyways, if you can help at all, I would really appreaciate it.

Another question. Is it ok if there is a small hole for wire in the divider? Will it make a difference in sq?

For the amp to receive a full voltage signal from that head unit, the sub out needs to be at +6...

...and the small hole in the divider will make absolutely no difference in "sound quality".

BTW, with that head unit and its high voltage preouts, the gain shouln't need to be at the half way point...it should be less (dialed back, counterclockwise). Set the sub out to +6 and reset the gains //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would not set the sub level to +6. I have a Pioneer deck with 4 volt preouts and I have my sub level at 0. The gain on the amp should be around 1/4-1/3 but that is just an ESITMATION.

As for the guy at tweeter, setting the gain to full means that he shouldn't have a job there anymore because he is a complete moron.

Make sure he has the subs wired up correctly. Check the crossovers. The sealed box will not give you as much output at a ported box but 2 mags sealed should be LOUD anyways.

Measure the AC voltage with a multimeter and a 0 dB test tone (unhook the subs first) ... For 1400 @ 2 ohms, you'd want 52.9 volts ... For 1200 @ 2 ohms, you'd want 49 volts ...
Also, I'd turn the sub out to +6 ...
Wait, so just to be sure, I should or shouldn't have the sub level at +6. The way you stated it, I'm not too sure. Thanks.

Don't set your sub level to +6. That won't help anything.

If anything, at mid volume or higher, it'll just add distortion.

I used to have a Tantrum 1200.1 and I swear, it couldn't have been putting out even 200 watts rms!

Just like you, my sub wouldn't even move. I had to put my finger on the surround to sub if my sub was even moving at all. NO matter where my gain was set, it never moved my sub significantly.

I've heard quite a few people with that exact same problem. I quickly got rid of mine.

I think contrary to what PG says, the Tantrum needs alot of juice. Once you get your HO alternator and you do your wiring upgrades you should be just fine. But until then, it's probably gonna ****, no matter what you do.

Another question. I have these knukonceptz battery terminals

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Battery%20Terminals

on a yellow top, and the power wire is 1/0 gauge with a crimped ring terminal. THe thing is that since the ring is too wide, it is not making contact with the surface of the battery terminal where the middle connector is (see the middle connector in the pic of the terminal). Only the very edges of the ring are touching, although the ring is making surface contact with the washer that's supposed to hold the ring in place. I asked the installer if this would be an issue, and he said it wouldn't as long as everything is tight and secure. Is this true? Could this be one reason I'm not getting alot of power?

Now I'm pretty sure the amp is the culprit. We'll see how it does after the electrical upgrades. I put in some THX and other stufff with deep low bass, and the Mags were pounding w/o distortion. The gains were on 1/2, the sub level on the hu was on +3 or +2 (on scale of - 6 to +6), and the volume was on 40-45 out of 62. I still think these settings are too high, especially considering that the mags should get alot louder, but at least I know there is nothing wrong with the subs and box. The wiring is correct, bc I watched the guy wire them up. I just think there is a powering issue or a defective amp, especially considering what others have said about the tantrums.

By the way, kick drums sound OMFG awsome on these mags. I don't know if you've ever heard of a band called Dream Theater before, but their drummer is awesome. On the album Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a Memory, the kicks are super fast on certain songs, especially track 6 Beyond this Life. I highly recommend this album to rock enthusiasts, especially those who like progressive rock.

I'll give an update and full review when everything is done.

ANother thing...

The amp is grounded to the seat belt bolt under the back seat. The installer didn't scrape any paint off of the metal where the bolt is connected. Could this be the problem? I figured he knew what he was doing, so I didn't say anything during the install (he let me watch him), but maybe I should have said something. It seams silly not to scrape the paint off. Otherwise, what's the point of grounding?

Ya scrape the paint off. As for it affecting things, the ground can still travel through the bolt if that is not painted but there isn't much of a connection there.

Go and sand off the paint. Not sure if it'll fix your problem but it's a good idea anyways.

i have a pg t1200.1 and it pounds, i think you should put the sub out all the way up and fix your ground.

i had it in a stock 94 sunbird running 2 12L5's with the gain in the middle and not boost and it pounded the crap out of my subs.

now it's in my jeep with a red top and my new alpine head unit, i have the sub out on +15 and the gain on the amp is set the first letter above the knob.

check all the other knobs to maybe you have the ssf on and set to high.

i think it's a great amp, i switched it over from a kx1200.1 and was very happy with both amps.

The gains were on 1/2, the sub level on the hu was on +3 or +2 (on scale of - 6 to +6), and the volume was on 40-45 out of 62. I still think these settings are too high,

sound like a pioneer deck, thats how high my head unit had to be turned up to get things really moving when i had my pioneer deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.