past and present

SOUNDz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i've heard a lot of people say that the older rf amps were better as far as going down to 1ohm, being more underrated etc... my ? is did they always come with birthsheets? if so, how accurrate were they? does anyone know the power ratings for any of these amps? 200ix 100ix 40ix

I will be the first to tell you thier amps are not what they used to be. I would take a used 2000 model anyday before I would a brand new 2001 model. I just wish they made those old round amps still,boy they were some kick ass amps And that 200 ix is a powerhouse probally compable to a bd1000.1 today.

I have a punch 75HD that I bought new in 1992. It came with a birth certificate. The amp is rated at 37.5 x2 at 4 ohms rms, the birth cert. says 122 x2 at 2ohms, so I would think it was underrated. This was a bad ass amp back in the day, even a punch 45 was a stout amp. Not sure about the new ones...

Okay I'm gonna have to defend fosgate on this one. Yes the older amps were capable of driving lower loads. But at the cost of lesser protection and a shorter warranty. I have had many fosgate amplifiers over the years. And after torching a few of them I am glad they added the better protection and the longer warranty. Even if it was at the expense of driving such low loads. They have also become a h@ll of alot more efficient over the years. And as far back as I can remember they have always come with a birth sheet. And as far as accuracy goes. If you use the guidlines they use when testing them they are pretty acurate. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I am sure I'm going to ruffle some feathers with this one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.