Particle board vs MDF

Most of those here spewing off that particle board is no good simply isn't old enough to remember when particle was the most common material used in the construction of sub boxes in the car audio world. Particle board and ply wood was in everybody's system back throughout the 80's winning spl shows and it wasn't until the 90's that mdf started gaining popularity and became the standard. Particle board is fine to build your box out of if that's all you have available or can afford at the time. As was stated mdf is definitely the better wood to use of the two were as some would prefer birch over both. Whoever stated that particle leaks because of space between the wood pieces, well you're just wrong......
Thanks for this post man. Anybody who has been in the game long enough has had a few enclosures out of particle board. My first sub boxes were made of particle board (this was in 94-95) and even the original wall in my spl car in 2000 was made mostly of particle board and that car went to world finals.There was a long time when particle board was the thing to use like Darkhart said. Not one failure ever in all of the boxes I have built with it. Hell I still have a box kicking around that is over ten years old made from whatever scraps I had laying around at the time that is mostly particle board and has housed many 12's seeing over 1K rms and is still in one piece. I am not making the case that particle board is an ideal material for a sub box but if constructed right it will work just fine. If I am buying now its mdf or birch ply but they all have their pros and cons(I can remember not too far back when plywood was frowned upon). If you already have the particle board you can sure as hell make it work.

This is what happens when you have your sub mounted on particle board and you get rear ended at 50mph...
SU1BRzA0NTEuanBn_zpsfd980558.jpg

The screws rip right out and the sub comes flying at your head. Ya, it hurt.
birch will do the same thing lol

rangercrash_zps580a0c62.jpg

Car audio shops that uses particle board instead of MDF is doing so to cut cost.....and CORNERS. Back in the days, MDF wasn't readily available to the public so particle board was the only alternative that was reasonably priced. Nowadays, you can get 3/4" MDF at just about any home improvement stores.

I went home last night and measured it is 5/8" instead of 3/4 " ... So do you think the 5/8 will work i figured it will flex alot and lose spl or something... Im probally just gonna sell it for enough to buy parts to build a better box out of mdf...

I went home last night and measured it is 5/8" instead of 3/4 " ... So do you think the 5/8 will work i figured it will flex alot and lose spl or something... Im probally just gonna sell it for enough to buy parts to build a better box out of mdf...
Wouldn't try the 5/8" man. Need that 3/4 at least.

at Lowe's recently we picked up 4 sheets of 3/4" MDF and one sheet of 3/4" Particle Board. i'm going to use the particle board inside the box to stiffen the larger sides (along with bracing)

dumb bish at the check out saw them all and asked if they were all the same. they are different colors! i said they are all engineered wood. so we paid the price particle board for all of the sheets. Particle board was 1/2 the price. we paid about half in the end. woot!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.