Particle board vs MDF

MerkConvoy501

Senior VIP Member
Conway AR
So i went up to lowes to get some wood for my current box build.. And they had some particle board in the mdf wood spot.. So i built my box with particle board instead of mdf.. Im wondering what is the pros and cons of using the particle board i used.. I am aware that it will split easier then the mdf wood.. Im more curious of the sq and the durability of the particle board.. Thanks in advance

only a noob will ask this, well fisrt its not as sturdy, and most importantly its not dense... you want mdf because it makes the sub resonate inside the enclosure, and with particle board it has too many cracks where air can seep though and not give you the best from your sub/s

A big audio shop I worked at made most of its boxes from 3/4" particle board and never had a problem unless it got wet. Even some big boxes using w7's were fine in it. It's not as good as mdf but its fine to use IMO

And take a picture of it, might be mdf and the guy is just a tard

Well seeing that i got it out of the mdf pile i assumed that it was mdf.. But my installer at my job informed me that it was particle board..
I used to work in the luber department at home depot. People throw the wrong stuff in the wrong place all the time.

A big audio shop I worked at made most of its boxes from 3/4" particle board and never had a problem unless it got wet. Even some big boxes using w7's were fine in it. It's not as good as mdf but its fine to use IMO
No particle board is pretty much the worst stuff you can use.

This is what happens when you have your sub mounted on particle board and you get rear ended at 50mph...

SU1BRzA0NTEuanBn_zpsfd980558.jpg

The screws rip right out and the sub comes flying at your head. Ya, it hurt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.