Do you "feel" bass more with a sealed box?

RSDXzec
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Australia
Now everybody knows a ported box will get better numbers on the meter and it is louder so it will be heard at a further distance but I was recently looking into the Orion HCCA 15 and reading through the manual. In the manual it said a sealed box design would hit harder and ported would be louder, I mean I've seen on forums etc people have said that as well but I figured if it's written in the manual it must mean more than someones opinion on the internet...

My question to people here who have heard a decent amount of both types, does a sealed box really help you feel the bass more than hear it as opposed to a ported box? I think this would be great because that way I could feel more bass and at the same time not annoy other drivers because of my bass addiction. Any comments/opinions would be great.

Cheer guys.

You feel the lower frequencies more. Port tuned low around 32
No, you typically hear the mechanics of the driver in a sealed box. Even tuned to 36-40, a proper ported box is going to be louder across all frequencies that it can reproduce. Build a proper box, and you'll enjoy the response of a ported, all across the board.

No, you typically hear the mechanics of the driver in a sealed box. Even tuned to 36-40, a proper ported box is going to be louder across all frequencies that it can reproduce. Build a proper box, and you'll enjoy the response of a ported, all across the board.
Which would you feel more? 150 @ 30 or 45?

Which would you feel more? 150 @ 30 or 45?
What part of the body? 45 is going to pound your head, 30 is going to take the air out of your lungs. It would depend on which of those two you are more sensitive to. I'm playing over 150 from about 28-50 and the 40-45 gets to me way more than any other frequencies. I do love having to time breathing in the mid 30s, though.

What part of the body? 45 is going to pound your head, 30 is going to take the air out of your lungs. It would depend on which of those two you are more sensitive to. I'm playing over 150 from about 28-50 and the 40-45 gets to me way more than any other frequencies. I do love having to time breathing in the mid 30s, though.
regardless of the body part i think he means sealed compared to ported.

regardless of the body part i think he means sealed compared to ported.
I know, but unless you are building a wall, I don't see anyone planning on going sealed doing a 150 so the question was loaded.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Depends on the sub.
Very true.

Sounds like conventional wisdom from 1995. I have not seen a really loud sealed system in so long I couldn't tell you what the truth there is. I suspect if you had a ton of cone area and power sealed would sound/feel a little different, but for say a single 15" hcca ported would be louder any way you slice it.

I used to do a million sealed boxes all sounded great even though I have ventured into the dark side now with ported enclosures I have done really well in output with sealed. of course most of my sealed enclosures had 2-3 woofers usually 12" and over 1k minimum. ON the main question I think I feel the lows and extensions on ported enclosures more than sealed but I feel the initial punch on sealed more.

I used to do a million sealed boxes all sounded great even though I have ventured into the dark side now with ported enclosures I have done really well in output with sealed. of course most of my sealed enclosures had 2-3 woofers usually 12" and over 1k minimum. ON the main question I think I feel the lows and extensions on ported enclosures more than sealed but I feel the initial punch on sealed more.
I like that answer, I currently have 3 12"s on a little over 1k, in general i'm referring to things shaking in the car/flex etc, because I do enjoy watching my car suffer from bass too lol. It's an old car so I'm making the most of it, I wont be putting a system like in this when I buy a new car a couple of years from now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.