Particle board vs MDF

A big audio shop I worked at made most of its boxes from 3/4" particle board and never had a problem unless it got wet. Even some big boxes using w7's were fine in it. It's not as good as mdf but its fine to use IMO
And take a picture of it, might be mdf and the guy is just a tard

Hes not a tard hes been in the installation and car audio game for 25+years.. But i sure hope hes wrong.. But the box is for 1100rms and 2 type r 12's..

No particle board is pretty much the worst stuff you can use.
I have personally built or sold 100's of boxes built with it and NEVER had a single problem with one. Is it good or the best, not really but it's cheap and works for basic regular boxes

I have personally built or sold 100's of boxes built with it and NEVER had a single problem with one. Is it good or the best, not really but it's cheap and works for basic regular boxes
It is cheap. Thats about it. Its hard to work with and not dense enough to be a good material for speaker boxes. If by "basic regular" boxes you mean a sealed 10 on 200 watts I can sort of understand. But for 1100 watts on 2 type R's I would probably rebuild the whole box out of MDF. it will be stronger and sound better.

only a noob will ask this, well fisrt its not as sturdy, and most importantly its not dense... you want mdf because it makes the sub resonate inside the enclosure, and with particle board it has too many cracks where air can seep though and not give you the best from your sub/s
*Sigh*

It is cheap. Thats about it. Its hard to work with and not dense enough to be a good material for speaker boxes. If by "basic regular" boxes you mean a sealed 10 on 200 watts I can sort of understand. But for 1100 watts on 2 type R's I would probably rebuild the whole box out of MDF. it will be stronger and sound better.
It was fine on 4 RF 15's each getting 800rms or so. Car slammed and the box held up just fine for a long time. But yes if the chance to use mdf it's overall better to use. I would actually be interested in the op used the pb box and made an exact copy in mdf if any audible difference would be noticed. I'd say no....

It was fine on 4 RF 15's each getting 800rms or so. Car slammed and the box held up just fine for a long time.
Yeah and you have experiance building boxes and looks like you braced the box well. The op is obviously an inexperianced wood worker, so its resonable to expect less than awesome craftmanship. Pair that with an inferrior product and I don't think the box is going to hold up very well.

But this is stupid. We are arguing but have the same opinion on the matter.

Most of those here spewing off that particle board is no good simply isn't old enough to remember when particle was the most common material used in the construction of sub boxes in the car audio world. Particle board and ply wood was in everybody's system back throughout the 80's winning spl shows and it wasn't until the 90's that mdf started gaining popularity and became the standard. Particle board is fine to build your box out of if that's all you have available or can afford at the time. As was stated mdf is definitely the better wood to use of the two were as some would prefer birch over both. Whoever stated that particle leaks because of space between the wood pieces, well you're just wrong......

It was fine on 4 RF 15's each getting 800rms or so. Car slammed and the box held up just fine for a long time. But yes if the chance to use mdf it's overall better to use. I would actually be interested in the op used the pb box and made an exact copy in mdf if any audible difference would be noticed. I'd say no....
Thank you for reassuring me that my box would be ok.. If lowes will give me a sheet of mdf then i will rebuild...

And i will take the guy with hands on experience over what some people read online.. And knowing that particle board was the norm in the 80's reassures me that it will be fine.. But like i said if lowes will give me a sheet of some mdf then im def gonna rebuild my box.

LOL put some water sealer on it and ride it out till you can upgrade lol. I hopes its not humid were your at cuz I know here in Miami it wouldnt last lon. very humid here

You'll be fine bro. Been using the shet since the 80's just like Dark. Never once had a problem with it unless it gets wet. And in my opinion it's easier to work with than MDF and a proper glued joint is stronger on particle board.

Just make danm sure you pre drill and center the screws in that 3/4". It will blow out a chunk if you dont.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.