Oversized box?

Towlieee
10+ year member

Missouri
My current setup is a Solo baric L7 15" in 4 cubes at 30hz in the trunk of my car facing up. With a 600watt Hifonics Zeus amp (used to have a HIfonics brutus 1600 but it quit working..)

I'm eventually gonna be getting a second L7 15", gonna build a fiberglass box in the back seat with the subs aiming forward, and get around 2000-2500 between the two subs..

For now however, I was thinking about going ahead and building the box for both subs, and just putting one sub in it.. That way the sub on 600watts would act like its getting 1200watts..

Im just wondering if a single solo baric 15 L7 would sound decent in 8-9 cubes at 28-30hz??

I would hate to do all the work and have it sound like crap until I can afford a second sub..

But I want more bump in my car..

Also, how does 8 cubes at 28hz with 75sq inches of port sound for 2 L7 15's?

I'm trying to retain a LITTLE sound quality, but still want it to be extremely loud..

edit: btw here is my current setup

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2337057/2

can't edit post?

Anyways, Just looked up specs and L7 15" calls for 3 to 6 cubes ported.. So im thinking it might not be soo bad in 8cubes?

But I'm looking for someone elses input... All my car audio experience is from learing myself, and I don't know THAT much..

Also, how does 8 cubes at 28hz with 75sq inches of port sound for 2 L7 15's?

sounds good for the final. Don't think so about the rest. If i am not mistaken, if it is a shared compartment, yet only one sub in place, it will be tuned MUCH lower then it will be when both subs in place

is the box gonna be ported or sealed. because if sealed just partion in the middle and have four cubes and if it's ported and you are gonna do two ports then you can partion it but im thinking that 8-9 cubes will probably be to much. my friend had like a 5-6 cube ported box and one of his l7's voice coils locked up so he had to seal the hole off and the one sub keep bottoming out and moving way to much. until he partioned until he got another sub then it sounded fine partioned.

is the box gonna be ported or sealed. because if sealed just partion in the middle and have four cubes and if it's ported and you are gonna do two ports then you can partion it but im thinking that 8-9 cubes will probably be to much. my friend had like a 5-6 cube ported box and one of his l7's voice coils locked up so he had to seal the hole off and the one sub keep bottoming out and moving way to much. until he partioned until he got another sub then it sounded fine partioned.
Its gonna be ported

I only have half the rms going to the sub right now, thats why im thinking I can get away with twice as big of a box

I would like to avoid partitioning the box, because its gonna be a very hard box to build with many different angles/cuts/directions to fit it in my car

Also gonna be involving a TON of fiberglass work, gonna have half the box in the trunk, with it coming through to a fiberglass front that is in the back seat

Wanting to keep 1 port also for looks, have 1 sub on each side with a port directly in the center

I guess when it comes down to it, if 8 cubes is too big, I could always shove 2-3 cubes of foam or something inside

sounds good for the final. Don't think so about the rest. If i am not mistaken, if it is a shared compartment, yet only one sub in place, it will be tuned MUCH lower then it will be when both subs in place
Do you have any idea how much lower it would be?

I love gut wrenching lows, but I've never really had my own setup that was below 30hz..

Was gonna drop the new setup down to 28hz, to maybe go a little lower

I love the fact my setup goes WAY lower then any of my friends //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You will be fine as long as the the port is tuned to that internal net volume of the box. Put it like this I had one 12 in a 4.5 cuft at 34hz and 45hz with removable port and it slammed so hard and sounded really clean too. People used to look at me like I was stupid when they saw how big the box was but when they heard it they didn't care. Go do it let us know how it sounds. Also when you put your 2nd sub in there the tuning might raise a very tiny bit but nothing that will hurt you just because the displacement of the other sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.