Overheating Speakers

Participant count
  • Participants list

donmecca357

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey All..... I’m having a serious issue with my current set up in my motorcycle. I have a Polk Audio 2 channel amp that has a max output of 125 rms per channel.... I have had Polk audio MM series marine 6x9 (150 rms max) , Polk audio db692 (150 rms max) and currently kicker csc693. The Polk speakers (both sets) have overheated and died (caps popping, magnets getting hot). The current kickers have a hot magnet and smell like it’s burning. I am at my wits end with this and about to take to a stereo shop and have them rip it all out and start over. Is there anything I could have missed that be causing this to happen? I have the amp gain at around 60%..... Way before distortion threshold .... any guidance would be awesome, Thanks in advance.... oh btw this is a saddlebag install..... amp and speaker in the left and speaker only in the right

thats not true. my Fosgate clips really low, like 40%. but it still does around 630 watts, rated for 500

set your gain right...

heres the tones...

I understand that I’m not an expert and that’s why I’m here but there is zero chance that I’m sending a clipped signal.... Unless I have a faulty amp, no amp should clip at 60% gain.... I do appreciate the feedback

Any amp I've ever had would clip at 60% gain unless you are running like 1 volt input voltage.

What is your source going to the amp?

I understand that I’m not an expert and that’s why I’m here but there is zero chance that I’m sending a clipped signal.... Unless I have a faulty amp, no amp should clip at 60% gain.... I do appreciate the feedback

Buuullllshit. then how did you set your gain to begin with? 60% gain turned up is pretty high and that's a hair past 1/2. As already asked, what's your HU?

Id look at getting more power.A 4 ch. would be ideal or another 2 ch to help with the heat factor for one running hot all day @2ohms at 60% gain isnt good on the amp.Set your gains correctly.This amp getting any air to try keep cool at all or stuffed away in an air tight location with no air circulation?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.