Orion HCCA4500.1 Install Question

Participant count
  • Participants list

Phae

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello guys! New to the forum and my first post.
I’m new to the car audio world and just getting into it more. I somewhat know what I’m doing but I have a question I can’t find the answer to.

I have two Harmony audio monolith 1ohm 12 inch subwoofers both rated at 3000 rms each speaker in a ported enclosure. I did the big 3 upgrade and got myself a 450 amp mechman alternator. I’ve been having trouble with badly made amps. So I finally ordered me a decent one an Orion 4500.

My question is the seller messaged me “The minimum requirements” for the amplifier. They are as follows, 1 ohm speaker impedance(already done), minimum three 0AWG power inputs, three 0AWG grounds, 2 AGM batteries alongside the main battery and high output alternator.

are the extra batteries and 3 power and grounds really necessary powering two 12 monoliths?
Could I just use one power and ground and not damage the amplifier or speakers? I know I could always push it harder if I wanted to but was just curious.

don’t rail me to hard I’m new 😂

Attachments

• D4AF52E1-314C-48A7-8147-5B603C3EFC7B.png
    D4AF52E1-314C-48A7-8147-5B603C3EFC7B.png
    490.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 5E63BBED-D0D7-4584-9EF0-FA0F063DE3C9.jpeg
    5E63BBED-D0D7-4584-9EF0-FA0F063DE3C9.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 25
That thing pulls a lot of power. No way I would spend that kind of money on a amplifier and then skimp on the power wire.

I do have a spare 12V AGM battery laying around, I could have two to it at the least. My main concern was could I just hook it up 1 to 1 for the time being and not damage anything. So I could buy more power down the road you know what I mean.

I do have a spare 12V AGM battery laying around, I could have two to it at the least. My main concern was could I just hook it up 1 to 1 for the time being and not damage anything. So I could buy more power down the road you know what I mean.
You need at least two 1/0 runs to the alternator for 450a. Add some capacitance and you'll be golden.

You need at least two 1/0 runs to the alternator for 450a. Add some capacitance and you'll be golden.
What do you mean, Sorry I’m new so forgive me for the dumb question if it is.

You mean two 0AWG runs from the alternator to the main battery? I’ve no idea how much a standard 0AWG wire can handle but I’ve got one ran from the battery to the alternator currently and I have a 30f capacitor.

does that also mean one power and ground would be decent enough for the time being? (For the amp)

No. He means bare minimum two runs of 0 from the alternator to the front battery, and also two runs from the front battery to the back batteries. Depending on the car, you may also need to run a run of 0 gauge ground from the rear to the front.

Watch the video I linked to. And watch the Fluke meter during the dyno runs. Those numbers are the worst case scenario but I would not be surprised to see that amplifier pull over 500 amps playing music.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...