Orange Mojo 12, recone or sell?

stpierce

I picked up a an older Memphis Mojo 12 for pretty cheap that needs some work before it is usable. All in 1 area, there is a huge hole in the surround, a dented dustcap and the cone is missing a small piece. I'm not looking for a competition ground pounder, just more power than my Eclipse 8810 can handle.

My first thought was recone after I looked at all the work SPLAudio had done. But I tried to email and Facebook him with no response for a few weeks now. On the scale of most of the members here, I am far from an expert, but was able to do an adequate re-surround job on the 8810. If this was your sub, would you DIY repair, have a local shop recone, send off to be reconed, or just sell and keep on looking?View attachment 26554248View attachment 26554247View attachment 26554249

I picked up a an older Memphis Mojo 12 for pretty cheap that needs some work before it is usable. All in 1 area, there is a huge hole in the surround, a dented dustcap and the cone is missing a small piece. I'm not looking for a competition ground pounder, just more power than my Eclipse 8810 can handle. My first thought was recone after I looked at all the work SPLAudio had done. But I tried to email and Facebook him with no response for a few weeks now. On the scale of most of the members here, I am far from an expert, but was able to do an adequate re-surround job on the 8810. If this was your sub, would you DIY repair, have a local shop recone, send off to be reconed, or just sell and keep on looking?View attachment 26554248View attachment 26554247View attachment 26554249
i'd hit up ultra audio on facebook to put together a nice recone kit for based on how much power and what your goals are with the sub. Reconing it yourself is very easy. I thought it was scary at first but after doing one, its hella simple. Gonna do two more subs soon myself.

I have a couple of these as well. I've been kicking them around my shop for a few years meaning to either sell them as-is or have them rebuilt. If I come across them again I'm pulling the motors for shop magnets and chukkin the rest.

By the pics you posted it looks like the voice coil is fried. You would be doing a lot of frustrating work. That's why I suggested just getting a new one. If your going to Frankenstein it that will most likely affect performance in the end you won't be happy. Just saying.

By the pics you posted it looks like the voice coil is fried. You would be doing a lot of frustrating work. That's why I suggested just getting a new one. If your going to Frankenstein it that will most likely affect performance in the end you won't be happy. Just saying.
Have you ever built a sub properly or have all yours just failed since you dont know how to balance out a sub with each part? Most of the times people are happier when the parts are chose right for your purposes and with US made coils and spider packs, the sub is superior then the OEM chinese crap parts they cheap out with. Guys around my area gain a decent amount in their setup by going with custom recones.

Why do you say the voice coils are fried (which if they are, probably means I have a giant paperweight)? They both read 2 ohm on the multimeter and seemed fine under about a minute of free air usage. I've never had a coil go bad on me, so that's a genuine question.

Why do you say the voice coils are fried (which if they are, probably means I have a giant paperweight)? They both read 2 ohm on the multimeter and seemed fine under about a minute of free air usage. I've never had a coil go bad on me, so that's a genuine question.
He has no idea what he's talking about that what lol. "Sub looks old" automatically assumes the sub is blown even though there is no voice coil shown on the pic.

Your such a troll. Look at the first&second pic you tard. Does it not look like someone has cut a large square to view inside. DUH.
1st pic is called a torn surround and the 2nd is the bottom layer of the cone ripping out along with a surround line damage. Neither of these are coil related. If you fked up just admit you fked up. Jesus

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.