Optimal Box For Skar VVX-12 D2?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ctmaudi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Akron, OH
Thinking of trying out a Skar VVX-12. Curious what the optimal size and tuning would be if ran with 800-850w, or more. Just for a daily, looking for mostly SQ, but want more output then Im getting with my SRx at 400w in 2.25cu @ 31Hz.

I can use the current box, but Skar has a deal to get a custom box made with the sub for $200 shipped. Skar recomends 1.75cu @ 33hz, so I figured 17x17x18 with a 1.5x15.5x29.75 port, for 1.73cu @ 32.75Hz.

Id have a MBquart Onyx 1500D powering it, with the gain set low (figured 800-850 would be a good daliy number).

You havnt really mentioned what kindof response youre looking for. And in general, smaller boxes 'sound better'. Box size, port area etc will affect phase as well so guessing numbers isnt the best thing to do.

More info. more info.

You havnt really mentioned what kindof response youre looking for. And in general, smaller boxes 'sound better'. Box size, port area etc will affect phase as well so guessing numbers isnt the best thing to do.More info. more info.
Um, what else is needed to be known? I said the power range, the usage, and said I have a 2.25cu box, but would like a smaller one, which covers size, and that its a daily usage sub looking for SQ.

From what Ive used, I think larger boxes sound better and dig lower. Just wasnt sure what kind of power handling the sub had, and smaller boxes handle more power then larger boxes. Since it would be powered over rated, I figured 2.25 would probably be a bit too large when the recomended is 1.75.

Curious what the optimal size and tuning would be
Most generic question of the day award.

We cant tell you, it depends on your listening preferences. SQ is subjective, and "large" is only relative to the woofer in question. 2 cubes for this may be large, but it may be small for another sub of smaller size.

Reccomended sizes arent the defacto box size. They are generic numbers to get you in the area of what most people would feel is acceptable.

If youre looking for low end, then yes a larger box will help flatten out lower tuning. An even larger box will add more boom to the low end. A smaller lower tuned box will have a smoother roll off similar to how sealed does.

Its anyone call as to which you prefer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.