Optima Yellowtop or 250 AMP Alternator

Participant count
  • Participant list

orphe
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Houston
OK as of now the head unit dims a little in heavy bass notes when ¾ the way up. So that alone indicates that I may need an electrical upgrade. I can do one or the other. Should I go for a yellow top under the hood or go for a 250 amp alternator? Both are around the same price.

FYI: Will be doing around 2000+ rms on the amp for my subs alone.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

If it is a decent alternator that does rated, definately upgrade your alternator first. The alternator will supply plenty of current for your setup and will provide higher supply voltage for the amplifier, also make sure if you get the alternator to upgrade your big 3 with 1/0 wire as well.

I find it hard to believe that it would put out all 250 amps at 1200 rpm at that price, as long as it is durable it will still provide way more current then a battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.