Opinions on budget mids and highs needed

Jeffro83

Senior VIP Member
So the plan is ultimately to run 4 crescendo un-8, and 4 silk dome tweeters, 1 mid and 1 tweet per door in a Yukon. But with the un's costing $100 a piece on sale it's going to take forever to come up with the cash. So I'm most likely going to do just the front doors with some budget mids but still get the tweeters that I want to use in the long run now. So far the soundqubed qp-mr8 For $65.99 a pair seems like a really solid option for a temp setup. But also looking at McLarens and some prbs as well. If anyone has any experience or opinions with any of these or anything else that is no more than $50 per speaker PLEASE let me know.

For tweets a trusted member said I should go for silk domes with a sensitivity rating of at least 93db but I haven't had much luck. The only ones I've come across that seem decent for a decent price are the McLaren mlt 60 mylardome with a sensitivity of 109db and 150 watts rms. Also the soundqubed qc-cd25 looked really good but can't find a place that has them in stock. Also I've seen a pair of ceas prestige that seemed to fit the bill and a pair of tangband that I really liked but the sensitivity was a little low at 89db and they were only rated for 8 watts rms. But they said that was without any filter and they would take way more power than that. Not really sure about that though.

Any and all options and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any and all help given.

So I think I'm down to either the soundqubed mids or the prv 8 MB-450 they are both close to the same price the prv's are a little more but have a little better power handling in a 2-inch voice coil both are cheap enough to be decent budget temporary mids not sure which one is better if either is and I could still really use some opinions on silk Dome tweets

Yeah I definitely want a little bit of both in the long run I want strong midbass and clear mids and highs that can keep up with my zv4 15's and I will most likely get the crescendo un's 1 8 and one tweeter per door of a 4-door truck but for right now I just need a decent cheap temp setup so I can keep moving along with my build and have something until I can afford the un's

[quote name='Jeffro83']So I think I'm down to either the soundqubed mids or the prv 8 MB-450 they are both close to the same price the prv's are a little more but have a little better power handling in a 2-inch voice coil both are cheap enough to be decent budget temporary mids not sure which one is better if either is and I could still really use some opinions on silk Dome tweets[/QUOTE]

Skar FSX 8s on 70 watts each. I wouldn't recommend these unless you have an active capable head unit. They need serious crossover work but they do get ridiculously loud for 25 dollar mids. Buddy was pretty happy with them, literally still hear him loud and clear even after a couple of stop lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTEoFOxICQE my phone mic took a dump lol. The PRVs looks like the best option though, Soundqubed mids are warm sounding and not very offensive from my experience with them, but they are the least loud.

As for tweeters, massive CT-2 tweets for sure 100% @Jcsaudio has a pair for sale i think.

[quote name='Jeffdachef']Skar FSX 8s on 70 watts each. I wouldn't recommend these unless you have an active capable head unit. They need serious crossover work but they do get ridiculously loud for 25 dollar mids. Buddy was pretty happy with them, literally still hear him loud and clear even after a couple of stop lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTEoFOxICQE my phone mic took a dump lol. The PRVs looks like the best option though, Soundqubed mids are warm sounding and not very offensive from my experience with them, but they are the least loud.

As for tweeters, massive CT-2 tweets for sure 100% @Jcsaudio has a pair for sale i think.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input man it's definitely a tough choice especially when you don't have a lot of experience with front stage the prv's are definitely in my price range I may get those just because they will probably be enough to keep me happy for a while but part of me wants to get the cheapest thing I can that will still do okay and save the rest of the money to put towards the crescendo un's

Another thing I'm going back and forth on is what ohm load to get everything in when I do all four doors I will be better off with 8 ohm mids and tweets so I can set it up like you recommended in the last thread but for the temporary set-up 4 ohm stuff would probably be better so I can still Bridge 1 amp to the mids and 1 amp to the tweets but then again if I got 8 ohm mids and tweets I could just use one amp bridging two channels to the mids and two channels to the tweets and then sell the other two amps that I have and all the component and coaxial and put all that money towards the new setup

Another thing I'm going back and forth on is what ohm load to get everything in when I do all four doors I will be better off with 8 ohm mids and tweets so I can set it up like you recommended in the last thread but for the temporary set-up 4 ohm stuff would probably be better so I can still Bridge 1 amp to the mids and 1 amp to the tweets but then again if I got 8 ohm mids and tweets I could just use one amp bridging two channels to the mids and two channels to the tweets and then sell the other two amps that I have and all the component and coaxial and put all that money towards the new setup
can you put that in a list format... drunk me cant deciperz rights nowz.

can you put that in a list format... drunk me cant deciperz rights nowz.
L.M.A.O. after rereading it sober me can barely decipher it right now and I wrote it that's pretty rough basically what I was getting at is that if I

A - order all 4 mids and all 4 tweeters in 4 ohm and then wire 2 mids per Channel and to tweeters per Channel to 2 4 channel amps bridged that would mean I would be running at 2 ohms per Channel don't think too many for channels can run bridged at 2 ohms

So naturally I figured I would just

B - order all 4 mids and all 4 tweets in 8 ohm which is not a problem for the mids but 8 ohm tweeters are apparently extremely hard to find only ones I came across in hours of searching was the SSA evil tweeters which don't seem bad but they are $100 a pair and the massive ct2 tweeters which are probably just as good if not better are way way less money

So that leaves me thinking that I can either

A - get 8 ohm mids and a 4 channel amp for them and 4 ohm tweeters and get a 2 Channel amp for them and run the 2 channel amp unbridged at 2 ohms per Channel so I will still get all the power from the app

Or

B - get all 4 ohm mids and tweets and get to 2 Channel amps and run both amps unbridged at 2 ohms per Channel this option would probably be best because I can use two of the 4-channel amps I have here now while only running the front doors as a temporary set up until I get more money to upgrade and run all four doors in the 2.1 set up we talked about in the last thread just really not sure if 2-channel amps will work the same as 4-channel amps in a front stage setup like this because everybody seems to be running for channels for their front stages plus the amps you recommended are four channels so maybe I am missing something just needing verification to make sure I am on the right track already wasted too much money on this build buying s*** without getting verification first

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.