Opinion on install finishing touches

Participant count
  • Participant list

redsoxfanChris
10+ year member

Virginia
Hello to all you 12V knuckleheads out here,

I'm one too, don't take the salutation to heart, lol.

Anyway, i'm close to finishing my amateur SQ install. Kind of irrelevant, but I want to plant the seed that I have spent a very particular attention to detail. I've been a custom installer for about 15 years now, but I have really hit a wall here with this one.

So I need some opinions for finishing my hatch.

Here's what I have: (in the hatch)

1 x JL Audio 500/1 => JL 13w3-4

1 x JL Audio 300/2 => JL ZR 650-CSi

2 x JL distribution blocks

and other assorted install related stuff.

I have built a false floor, with the sub in the spare tire well in the middle of the hatch (big Cougar hatch) with an amp on each side. Both amps and the sub have their own small enclosure under the false floor, under plexiglass, so i can cover everything with friction panels so I can "hide" all of it, and it will look like just another trunk floor.

My question: What color and material should i make the inside of these boxes, which can seen under and around the sub and amps? I.E. paint, formica, mirror.

I'm using Blue and Silver power/ground, and I have tons of blue neon accents I can use.

So what does anyone think? I was thinking maybe brushed aluminum Formica, or mirrors. But BA formica might clash with the amps too much.

Any thought will be greatly appreciated.

You can check out my gallery and see a few pix I've posted

redsoxfanChris's Album: 99 Mercury Cougar SQ build

Thanks, Chris

great ideas. the finished product should be awesome.

if it were me, i'd go black. i'd want the amps to stand out. gloss black would work well IMO. or, if you have a color theme in or on the car, it could match.

resin, fg, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, sand, sand, paint. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

great ideas. the finished product should be awesome.
if it were me, i'd go black. i'd want the amps to stand out. gloss black would work well IMO. or, if you have a color theme in or on the car, it could match.

resin, fg, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, sand, sand, paint. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
=> keep_hope_alive...

See. This is why I needed opinions. Color scheme. Who would have thought it would as simple as that, lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I do have a color scheme. It's sorta gun metal and brushed aluminum. My amps, radio, and some accents up front have the brushed aluminum look. I have a lot of dash/door/pillars trim pieces off and painted them dark dark gun metal. Re did my headliner and door panel inserts in black suede, and my leather seats are next. They're grey right now, but also 11 years old, so I'm opting for a black/dark grey leather recover.

I think I'll take your advice. I'll use my dark gun metal spray paint that I used on the trim, and use it under and around the sub. Highlighted with blue neon, the amps should "pop" nicely.

BTW, despite the fact that I should have, I didn't use fiberglass anywhere, lol. Your quote proved why... "resin, fg, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, sand, sand, paint. :)"

Actually, the design, turned out, didn't require me to use fiberglass to look cool. I was going for more of a "stealth" look. But remove a few panel covers and BOOM. you know. simple but cool.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I welcome any more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.