Only 1 of my subs is working properly

Tylerrr01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 22, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone, I recently found out I had a bad ground due to subs cutting In and out at low volume and not working at all on high volume. Looked at the ground and turns out it was melted. Replaced the ground tonight and now only 1 one my subs is putting out good movement and bass and the other is barely putting any bass out but still a little bit.

I run 2 Kicker Comp R’s

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Tylerrr01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 22, 2021
Pennsylvania
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you sure its your Sub?
What amp do you you have running them?
2000w Lanzar Amp.
I have a 2000 watt Lanzar amp.
I ran the subs this morning and the both were kicking at high volume but the one sub still isn’t pushing quite the same amount of bass through.

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Regular
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
I asked to see if you were running them in mono or stereo but I'm going to assume its mono so that would rule out one of the channels of the amp.
Is the box one chamber or does each sub have its own chamber.
When you open the box up do they all share the same air space or is there something sealing them off from each other.
Maybe post some pics

Tylerrr01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 22, 2021
Pennsylvania
I asked to see if you were running them in mono or stereo but I'm going to assume its mono so that would rule out one of the channels of the amp.
Is the box one chamber or does each sub have its own chamber.
When you open the box up do they all share the same air space or is there something sealing them off from each other.
Maybe post some pics
There are 2 chambers in the box and a divider in the middle

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
If it is divided in the middle then try switching the subs and see if the problem follows the sub or stays on whatever side its on.
If both subs are in individual chambers, but one moves more than the other, he has already narrowed it down to a sub issue.

Pull them out of the box and measure coil resistance.

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Regular
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
What if there is a hole in the box or one the seals on one side are gone?
Would that not cause one of the subs to not run as well as the other one?

Kastlez_

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jan 14, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Take the guess work out. Find a DMM "MULTIMETER" and measure the resistance of each sub out of the box or inside the box doesn't matter.

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
What if there is a hole in the box or one the seals on one side are gone?
Would that not cause one of the subs to not run as well as the other one?
That's not a very likely scenario. Might as well check if one half of the amp's terminals doesn't measure the same voltage as the other half. That could cause his issue.

Tylerrr01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 22, 2021
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the ideas guys. I’ll give it a shot in the morning. Didn’t get the chance to do it today. I’ll report back on what I figure out.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
You should solder them onto that terminal you have in that one picture. I do that when installing box terminals so I know chances are it won't come undone like that and for the amplifier should invest in some heat shrink for those power & ground wire connectors and some tape over that as that is just asking for a short or something else to happen.

Also is this the amplifier? If so it "claims" to be 1ohm stable. Also what ohms are the subwoofers? And what ohm do you have them running at? Because that power and ground cable doesn't look all that big maybe 8 gauge? If you could I would run 4 gauge and depending on the rms wattage and ohms you are running them you can decide if you want to go to 1ohm if those subwoofers can handle it and adjust gain from there. Also I personally don't mount amplifiers to boxes because of the vibrations that it can do to amplifier. Some do and have no issues to me I just don't like the look of it since I try to keep the install as clean as possible.

Tylerrr01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 22, 2021
Pennsylvania
You should solder them onto that terminal you have in that one picture. I do that when installing box terminals so I know chances are it won't come undone like that and for the amplifier should invest in some heat shrink for those power & ground wire connectors and some tape over that as that is just asking for a short or something else to happen.

Also is this the amplifier? If so it "claims" to be 1ohm stable. Also what ohms are the subwoofers? And what ohm do you have them running at? Because that power and ground cable doesn't look all that big maybe 8 gauge? If you could I would run 4 gauge and depending on the rms wattage and ohms you are running them you can decide if you want to go to 1ohm if those subwoofers can handle it and adjust gain from there. Also I personally don't mount amplifiers to boxes because of the vibrations that it can do to amplifier. Some do and have no issues to me I just don't like the look of it since I try to keep the install as clean as possible.

[/URL]
Yeah soldering then would be a good idea but I’m honestly not that great at it. As far as the power and ground I’ll have to stop and get shrink tube tomorrow for that. And I do believe the subs are 2 Ohm. I don’t quite know what ohm I run them at to be honest. I have them ran with 6 Gauge wires and the RMS is 400.
As far as the messiness, I completely understand. I have the box in my trunk so it sits up by the back of my seat and isn’t showing the messiness but yeah it would be nice to keep it clean.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds