One amp per speaker?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jmg.gregory

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ohio
I am installing an audio system in my 65 VW notchback. I am keeping the stock radio in place because it looks cool, just for looks, not connected. I'm not looking for ultimate audio performance, just some decent sound, so trying to keep my expenses reasonable. I have 3 old school Rockford Fosgate Punch amps, 1-100 and 2-40s, that I purchased and installed in the late 80's maybe early 90's, removed and have been holding since the mid-90's. For this new install, I will have a pair of Alpine SPS-1629S coaxial 6.5” speakers and a single Alpine S-W10D4 S-Series 10" subwoofer in the rear package shelf. Both the sub and the coaxials are listed at 4ohms. I have a JL Audio MBT-RX bluetooth running into a Pyle PLXR2B crossover then out to the amps. I'm looking for input on the best application of the 3 amps and have a few questions because I don't have a solid understanding of wiring configurations:

I'm thinking of using the Punch 100 into the single sub, one Punch 40 into one coaxial, second Punch 40 into the second coaxial.
The Punch 100 is listed as 50 watts RMS per channel into 4ohms. The sub wiring diagram includes the following for one amp into one sub.
1694206153820.png

To get both channels (L&R) into the one sub, do I combine the L&R positives and and separately the L&R negatives from the amp output thus giving me 8ohms as depicted in the 2nd picture from the left? End result being both channels and 100 watts into the sub?

The Punch 40 is listed as 20 watts RMS per channel into 4ohms. Assuming the same logic as above for the sub, I would combine both channel outputs from one Punch 40 to get 40 watts into the coaxial. My reasons for doubt with this scenario:
- Would 8ohms into the coaxial rated at 4ohms be a problem?
- The coaxials are rated at 30 watts RMS, 120 peak. I won't be pushing the volume much at all, many years playing in bands, trying to protect what hearing is left. Will keeping the volume below 75% save the speakers?
- Output from the crossover is an RCA. Input to the amp can be either an RCA or individual wires.
- If I am running one Punch 40 for each channel and I use an RCA into the amp, I'm only getting one channel input to the amp, would I therefore only be able to get one channel (20w) out?
- I could use male RCA to bare wire adapters which would allow me to use the individual wires into the amp allowing me to combine both channel inputs. Combine both channel outputs and I get 40 watts out?

Advice appreciated.

Advice appreciated
For the sub/amp combo, you can use one voice coil per channel. So no need to use the jumpers of the sub.
As for the co-axials, you can bridge each amp for each speaker. With the amp bridged on the speaker's 4 Ohm rating, it should put out twice the power. So instead of 40w bridged, it should output closer to 80w.
To bring the amp's output down you turn down the gain knob.
As for the RCA inputs, you can use an RCA splitter to get signal into L&R of the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...