?? on rebuilding amplifiers = more power

Only The Best
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
texas
I was wondering if it was really that difficult to open up the casing on an amplifier and replacing the resistors and capacitors... if that would result in a higher power output... i do some circuitry so its not that hard for me to replace them but i was wondering if there was more to it than that??... or maybe a link to somewhere i can go to find some information on the subject of rebuilding an amplifier to make it more powerful.... not afraid of reading.

THEORETICALLY yes, you could replace all the components with top of the line versions with higher tolerances and gain output. a lot of amps have the same board but different quality components, and the ones that are built using quality stuff put out more power. but i wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you are doing. especially considering the cost of the components you would need to replace.

Matt

Just buy a better amp for all the money you'll be putting into it. If it's a class A/B you could get away with maybe a little increase but if it's class D you'll need to replace the FETs for more output. More output means more heat and therefore more heatsinks are required. You're better off with a better amp imo.

I was wondering if it was really that difficult to open up the casing on an amplifier and replacing the resistors and capacitors... if that would result in a higher power output... i do some circuitry so its not that hard for me to replace them but i was wondering if there was more to it than that??... or maybe a link to somewhere i can go to find some information on the subject of rebuilding an amplifier to make it more powerful.... not afraid of reading.
This isn't really a worthwhile venture bro. You could maybe put in some nicer components and potentially make the amp a bit more reliable but there is no easy way to make an amp do a whole lot more power reliably. Would be much less of a headache to just buy an amp made to do the power you need instead of trying to force an amp to do something it wasn't designed to do.

dude, dont even mess if youre asking those questions. Caps are easy, resistors and changing resistances can lead to blowing an amp real quick.
This

changing resistors can alter the gain of the circuits

changing the caps just changes the frequency bandwidth

I study electrical and electronic engineering and I advise you not to do this if you're asking these questions. You need a whole bunch of equations to pick the right values and keep it stable.

This
changing resistors can alter the gain of the circuits

changing the caps just changes the frequency bandwidth

I study electrical and electronic engineering and I advise you not to do this if you're asking these questions. You need a whole bunch of equations to pick the right values and keep it stable.
agreed. plus he will be out of his own money real quick from going through components.

lol well thanks for the info... thought it may be simpler than that... I am going into EE though... sadly just about to finish first year in college so no info on the subject yet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif besides my own experimenting

This isn't really a worthwhile venture bro. You could maybe put in some nicer components and potentially make the amp a bit more reliable but there is no easy way to make an amp do a whole lot more power reliably. Would be much less of a headache to just buy an amp made to do the power you need instead of trying to force an amp to do something it wasn't designed to do.
I was really just wondering because I have a fosgate 600-5 5 channel amplifier and this is the second one they sent to me because of the engine "ground noise"... I switched the amp out with an eclipse I had and the noise went away... I was told by one of my friends that it could be due to bad resistors... am I aiming in the right direction or completely off?

I was really just wondering because I have a fosgate 600-5 5 channel amplifier and this is the second one they sent to me because of the engine "ground noise"... I switched the amp out with an eclipse I had and the noise went away... I was told by one of my friends that it could be due to bad resistors... am I aiming in the right direction or completely off?
I seriously doubt your noise issues are due to bad resistors. Not all amps are created equal. Some amps are much better than others at noise rejection . The RF should be a good amp though in that respect . I would start looking at the rest of the install for the noise issue. Could be multiple things causing it.

I seriously doubt your noise issues are due to bad resistors. Not all amps are created equal. Some amps are much better than others at noise rejection . The RF should be a good amp though in that respect . I would start looking at the rest of the install for the noise issue. Could be multiple things causing it.
yeah my only concern with that is... I replaced all my rca's... cleaned my grounds... put a different amp in the same spot and the noise went away... turned my gains all the way down on the amp.... idk what else to check... no power wires are running in parallel with the amp

lol well thanks for the info... thought it may be simpler than that... I am going into EE though... sadly just about to finish first year in college so no info on the subject yet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif besides my own experimenting
awesome! you will learn a lot of interesting stuff. In first year you hardly learn anything useful. At the end of second year I learnt class A amplifier design, currently in my third year I am learning class B and AB amplifier design. I have asked my lecturer for tips on class D design as well out of pure interest because it's not covered in the subject.

Also as previously stated transistors are very sensitive and it's easy to blow them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.